UPDATE: Boxer Dies After 2 Rounds in 'Benton Beatdown'

by The Associated Press  on Monday, Jan. 31, 2011 8:40 am  

This story is from the archives of ArkansasSports360.com.

BENTON - A boxing promoter says an El Dorado man who died at a hospital after a boxing match at Benton was making his professional boxing debut.

Authorities say 28-year-old Anthony Jones died Sunday morning at University Hospital in Little Rock, where he was taken Saturday night after his fight with Quincy Palmer of Little Rock was stopped in the second round.

Larry Harris, promoter of the "Benton Beatdown," said referee Martin Tunstall of Sheridan stopped the Jones-Palmer bout after Jones was sent to the mat by a blow to the head.

Jason Stuart of the Arkansas Athletic Commission said he was commissioner in charge at ringside, and everything at the event followed proper procedures. He said Jones had been examined by a ringside physician before getting into the ring with Palmer.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten, broadcast or distributed.)

 

 

Please read our comments policy before commenting.