Lamar Porter Baseball Complex Draws Roster of Star Power for $5.6M Makeover

by George Waldon  on Monday, Nov. 18, 2013 12:00 am  

  • Home Field: Catholic High School, Episcopal Collegiate School and the RBI League (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities)
  • 1,500-Seat Grandstand: Part of a $122,244 complex largely built through the federal Works Progress Administration.
  • First Season of Play: Summer 1936, Boys Club teams
  • Not Just Baseball: Hosted World Series of Softball in 1949
  • Claim To Fame: Brooks Robinson, Hall of Fame third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles (1955-77), grew up playing baseball at Lamar Porter.

Historical Foundation

The ballpark is named in memory of Lamar Porter, a 20-year-old local boy who was killed in a car wreck on May 12, 1934, while attending Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Va.

His family purchased the wooded site in 1935 and donated the land to the Little Rock Boys Club for recreational purposes to benefit the city’s youth.

The complex originally included a lighted softball field, four lighted tennis courts and a playground. The clay tennis courts were replaced by a small ball field over the years.

The project is a legacy of a New Deal program that put unemployed Americans to work improving the country’s infrastructure during the Depression.

Lamar Porter Boys Club Athletic Field was named to the National Register of Historic Places on Dec. 6, 1990.

For more information on Lamar Porter and the fundraising effort visit LamarPorterComplex.com.

 

 

Please read our comments policy before commenting.
Search

Latest Arkansas Business Poll

Do you approve of the president taking executive action on immigration?