UA Endowed Scholarship Established for Tribal Students

by Lee Hogan  on Monday, Mar. 3, 2014 9:21 am  

A professor emeritus of anthropology at the University of Arkansas is contributing $25,000 to create an endowed scholarship for tribal students in the memory of his late wife.

Michael Hoffman chose to establish the Margaret J. Hoffman Endowed Scholarship for Citizens of Tribes Indigenous to the United States to celebrate his wife and her accomplishments as a member of the department of anthropology and a University Museum staff member.

"Peggy loved teaching her U of A Students, and Native American cultures and are were a major part of her teaching emphasis," Hoffman said in the university news release. "Her memory will endure through this scholarship as it encourages successful Native American students at the university."

The late anthropology professor was also director of a museology Master of Arts option in anthropology.

Chris Wyrick, UA's vice chancellor for university advancement, called Michael Hoffman's gesture "a wonderful, heartfelt tribute to his wife."

"As a professor, Peggy impacted a generation of students, and this gift will ensure that legacy is felt into the future," Wyrick said in the release. "By designating this scholarship for students who are citizens of federally recognized tribes, Michael has found a meaningful way to support Peggy's passion and help a valuable segment of our student body in the process."

Peggy Hoffman joined the University of Arkansas faculty in 1964 and worked side-by-side with her husband as a curator for the university museum. She also developed the museum's preservation and conservation programs, in addition to a volunteer program and a safety and security program.

The university said recipients of the scholarship must be enrolled in undergraduate or professional coursework who are citizens of a federally recognized tribe indigenous to the United States. Those interested in contributing to the fund are asked to contact associate vice chancellor for development Mark Power at (479) 575-7206 or



Please read our comments policy before commenting.