Signs of $14.7 Million Medicare Fraud from Mountain Home Doctor Date Back for Years

by Mark Friedman  on Monday, Mar. 31, 2014 12:00 am  

A version of this article originally appeared in Arkansas Business on October 14, 2013. It is being republished as part of Arkansas Business' 30th anniversary issue. You can access the digital edition for free here.

If Dr. Stacey M. Johnson of Mountain Home had not died earlier this year at 63, he likely would have been charged with overbilling Medicare by $14.7 million, according to a criminal investigator’s affidavit that was recently made public.

Johnson’s medical career ended in 2009 when the Arkansas State Medical Board pulled his license for recklessly running too many tests on patients. Now the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Arkansas is in the process of recovering money from what may be the largest Medicare fraud in the state’s history.

On Sept. 20, the U.S. Attorney’s Office filed a civil forfeiture lawsuit in an attempt to seize Johnson’s ex-wife’s Mountain Home mansion, which prosecutors said was paid for with proceeds from the Medicare fraud. Johnson’s ex-wife, Cynthia Johnson, paid $600,000 to settle the lawsuit and keep the property. The case was closed Oct. 4.

Cynthia Johnson told Arkansas Business last week that she had been given immunity from criminal prosecution and was scheduled to meet with federal investigators on Oct. 10.

She said she didn’t believe her former husband committed Medicare fraud.

“I worked in the office for 28 years with him, and he did not overbill Medicare,” she said. “He didn’t even pay attention to what was being billed. He was simply the physician and he did what he felt was right for the patients.”

Others disagree.

Conner Eldridge, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Arkansas, told Arkansas Business last week that recovering more assets is “an ongoing effort.”

“We are serious about trying to do all we can to locate those funds or assets,” he said. “There are a number of assets that we’re taking a look at.”

He wouldn’t say whether anyone would be charged. “It’s an ongoing investigation,” he said.

Dr. Johnson was allowed to continue practicing despite signs and allegations of over-testing dating back for years.

 

 

Please read our comments policy before commenting.