Massage Therapist Pleads Guilty, Will Testify Against Barrows

by Mark Friedman  on Monday, May. 5, 2014 12:00 am  

Drs. Robert and Angela Barrow practice at this office in west Little Rock. | (Photo by Jason Burt)

The Conway massage therapist who allegedly helped perpetuate a health care fraud has taken a plea deal and will testify for the prosecution of Drs. Robert Barrow and Angela Barrow.

The therapist, Billy Marc Young, 35, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Little Rock on April 10 to making a false statement related to a health care matter. He agreed to pay $267,871 in restitution and forfeit $311,130.

A sentencing date has not been set for Young, who faces up to five years in federal prison, a fine of up to $250,000 and up to three years of probation.

Just over a week before Young took his plea, the Barrows, who are married, were indicted by a federal grand jury on one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud and six counts of health care fraud that exceeds $1.2 million. Robert Barrow also faces four counts related to billing Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield for ultrasounds that weren’t performed.

Robert Barrow, 60, and Angela Barrow, 50, have entered not guilty pleas in U.S. District Court in Little Rock and are currently practicing at Renaissance Health & Wellness in west Little Rock, which was the site of their previous practice, Your Doctor’s Office. The Barrows closed Your Doctor’s Office and sold the 7,600-SF medical office building on Nov. 13 for $1.2 million. The buyer was South Central Management Services LLC of Fort Smith.

“We plan to fight the charges,” Angela Barrow’s attorney, Jeff Rosenzweig of Little Rock, told Arkansas Business last week. “She didn’t defraud anyone. She didn’t attempt to defraud anyone, and we believe a jury will agree with us.”

Robert Barrow’s attorney, Jack Lassiter of Little Rock, didn’t return a call for comment, nor did Robert or Angela Barrow.

Meanwhile, the Barrows are facing more questions from the Arkansas State Medical Board. Kevin O’Dwyer, the attorney for the Medical Board, told Arkansas Business last week that he expects the Barrows’ indictment will be discussed at the board’s next scheduled meeting on June 5-6.

He said the board has a number of options to deal with the Barrows, including issuing an emergency order of suspension against the doctors if board members feel the health and welfare of the citizens of Arkansas are in danger. Or it could wait until the criminal case is completed to take action.

In the meantime, a lawsuit filed by a patient of the Barrows that led to a question of overtreatment was put on hold pending the resolution of the criminal charges against the two physicians.

Auto Accident

A 30-year-old North Little Rock kindergarten teacher, Micah Kaye Haupt, was in a car accident in December 2010. Haupt sued the driver who caused the accident, Joshua Clouse of Little Rock. The only issue in dispute in the lawsuit is Haupt’s damages, according to court filings by Clouse’s attorney, T.J. Fowler of Friday Eldredge & Clark LLP of Little Rock.

 

 

Please read our comments policy before commenting.
Search

Latest Arkansas Business Poll

Do you approve of the president taking executive action on immigration?