Museum of Discovery Educator
- Company: Museum of Discovery
- Updated: 3/13/2013
- Location: Little Rock
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: Will disclose at interview
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Category: Education
Museum of Discovery
Wednesday - Sunday
Job Summary: We are looking for an individual with the desire to entertain and educate people of all ages through museum programs, camps, theater shows and much more. This educator will work Wednesday through Sunday and assist with research, planning, development and presentation of program content. We are seeking a candidate who has an insatiable desire to continue learning in a dynamic environment. When called on to do outreach education, the educator will act as liaison with schools and the public at offsite locations. Departmental budget planning, basic database management and inventory regulation will require strong logistical and organizational skills. This person will also assist with educational training for volunteers and staff.
Reports to: Program Director
Education: Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, chemistry, physics, engineering, science education, theater or related field.
Experience Required: Experience in show presentation and teaching. Experience in lesson plan development and evaluation.
• Charismatic entertaining skills; can carry an audience with confidence; can present a wide variety of content to all ages.
• Be comfortable around animals, explosions and hazardous chemicals (preferably not in combination).
• Creative mind that can make any content fun and engaging.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Computer skills: email, word processing, page layout and basic data base management.
• Demonstrate good customer relations skills in dealing with donors, members, volunteers, museum visitors and staff.
• Ability to work with a team or alone.
Professional references required.
Develop and write educational programming, theater show scripts, special event shows.
Lead and conduct programs, special event shows, summer camps, labs, dissections, evening events, and theater shows.
Have reliable vehicular transportation for outreach education.
Assist in training volunteers and educators.
Maintain teaching supplies, props, models, specimens, etc.
Manage the department’s inventory and keep storage areas in order.
Available for weekend and periodic evening work.
Provide general backup to present programs as needed.
Coordinate/lead assigned special events, mini-events, and special programming. Provide assistance backup during other events.
Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Museum of Discovery
500 President Clinton Avenue, Suite 150
Little Rock, AR 72201