Program Coordinator - Office of Religious Life
- Company: Philander Smith College
- Updated: 8/7/2014
- Location: Philander Smith College
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Category: Clerical/Administrative
Philander Smith College is seeking a Program Coordinator to be responsible for the varied and complex clerical and administrative work assignments involving the use of judgment and discretion in support of the Office of Religious Life. The successful candidate must have the ability to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment in making decisions regarding workload, where direction and/or precedents may not be available. (These decisions may include the scheduling and usage of the Chaplain’s time, determining approaches to complex issues, and familiarity with utilizing available resources to complete work.)
Under the direction of the Chaplain, the Program Coordinator is responsible for:
• Overseeing all aspects of volunteer participation, including recruitment, supervision, and scheduling;
• Special event planning, coordination, organization, and promotion;
• Public relations development through community education, involvement, and support;
• Providing administrative support to include management and scheduling; preparation of correspondence, materials, and travel arrangements;
• Communication and coordination with other personnel on campus.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Create a strong presence of Spiritual and Religious Life on campus and with the broader community through programming and spiritual practices and engagements, as well as honoring PSC traditions such as Convocation, Chapel, and Baccalaureate;
• Collaborate with the PSC community to develop programming that addresses students’ spiritual needs/interests, engage them in their own spiritual journey, and assist them in exploring the connection between spiritual growth and social justice issues, in the broadest sense;
• Advise and support student faith-based or religious groups in collaboration with the Religious Life Council, the Office of Student Life staff, and PSC faculty;
• Help facilitate student interactions across faith traditions by creating and facilitating spaces for student leaders and others;
• Serve as a resource for student referrals and a bridge to community-based and spiritual and religious organizations and practices;
• Identify and engage community partners in the development of sustainable programs and lasting relationships with PSC in regard to service and faith (including building connections to key individuals from a variety of spiritual practices);
• Create relationships with community partners, both on and off campus, for civic engagement opportunities;
• Write grant proposals and reports to secure support for serving learning, ecumenical, and multi-faith initiatives;
• Coordinate interfaith vigils in response to crisis events and lead Spiritual and Religious Life responses in the event of student death or other community event in time of crisis;
• Perform other related duties as assigned by Chaplain.
Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or a related field; plus 2 years of work experience in an office setting, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality, be highly organized, and able to work with deadlines and time crunches. Prefer skills in Microsoft Office products and proficiency in Word. Prefer experience in event planning and making travel accommodations. Applicant must have a positive attitude, and a commitment to a high level of customer service and organization. Salary is commensurate with qualifications.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional letters of reference to:
Philander Smith College
Attn: Office of Human Resources
900 W. Daisy Bates Drive
Little Rock, Arkansas 72202
Applications packets can be emailed to email@example.com.
Philander Smith College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, sex, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, or religion. Philander Smith College is a smoke-free and drug-free work environment. Philander Smith College participates in E-Verify.