Coordinator of Health and Wellness - Campus Nurse
- Company: Philander Smith College
- Updated: 8/12/2013
- Location: Philander Smith College
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Region: Central
- Category: Education, Medical/Dental
Anticipated start date: August 5, 2013
The Coordinator of Health and Wellness/Campus Nurse is responsible for providing nursing care coordination services for the campus community. This person will be responsible for triaging patients, giving advice to patients on health issues and providing basic care. In addition to these services, he/she will identify health trends; create programming opportunities in health and wellness and other health initiatives for the campus.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1. Provides general nursing care to patients, which include students, staff, and faculty.
2. Coordinates and provides care in areas such as: general family practice or ambulatory services, health education, family planning, women’s health, mental health, first aid, acute illness, and chronic illness.
3. Educates students to become independent health consumers.
4. Triages patients and provides care in accordance with nursing standards and clinic protocols.
5. Provides treatment of minor injuries and illnesses.
6. Triages health needs to include referrals to licensed providers, outsourced counseling services, college’s disability services, and/or community resources.
7. Possess ability to perform and monitor quality control.
8. Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with nursing standards.
9. Maintains patient confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA, FERPA, federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines.
10. Creates, maintains and ensures the accuracy, timeliness and completeness of historical forms, records and files, including all health-related files, checklists and systems data integrity, as assigned or applicable.
11. Ensures budgetary, financial, departmental and institutional policies, procedures, guidelines and regulations are adhered to.
12. Coordinates the collection and management of student medical and immunization records as required by the State of Arkansas.
13. May perform laboratory tests and procedures such as venipuncture, STI tests, throat cultures, pregnancy tests, and tuberculin skin tests.
14. Ability to collaborate with other healthcare professionals and provide quality customer care safely and efficiently.
15. Responds to inquiries relating to patients, lab requests, imaging, prescription requests, etc.
16. Coordinates individualized follow-up care.
17. Coordinates appointments for referrals to specialists, imaging, lab testing, outsourced counseling, and conveys pertinent instructions and information to the patient.
18. Provides effective upward communication and support; keeps immediate supervisor informed on all job-related issues.
19. Identifies needed areas of improvement and actively pursues appropriate means and methods to increase effectiveness in those areas.
20. Effectively performs other assigned projects to meet desired objective deadlines.
1. Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to provide and evaluate patient care.
2. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to provide patient care.
3. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to provide patient care.
4. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide continuity of patient care.
5. Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to both oral and written inquiries.
6. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, and the college community.
8. Participate in campus committees, special projects (Body Justice, Sex Awareness Week, etc.), and staff meetings.
9. Demonstrate flexibility in scheduling, including evening clinics and special events.
10. Maintain professional appearance.
11. Practice good ethical standards, such as informing patients of their rights, privacy, responsibilities, resources, and options.
12. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
13. Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
14. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Safety and Risk Management
1. Complete annual bloodborne pathogens training and other trainings assigned by the college.
2. Have knowledge of general college safety procedures.
3. Utilize risk management for reporting hazards and adverse occurrences by completing incident reports according to policy.
4. Implement special safety precautionary measures specific to the age and condition of the patient.
5. Follow proper disposition of hazardous waste.
6. Utilize safety measures to avoid job related injury or illness.
7. Respond properly to emergency situations including fire and disasters.
8. Maintain current certification in basic cardiac life support.
9. Other duties as assigned.
M-F: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Occasional nights and weekend
Cellular phone provided for work-related and emergency calls.
The Campus Nurse is a full-time, 10-month position reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students. Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor's degree in nursing or a related field from an accredited program. The candidate must possess a Registered Nurse license for the State of Arkansas. Preferred qualifications are candidates that have experience with a college-aged population (experience in a university/college counseling setting preferred). Certified in CPR for healthcare providers. Must provide and maintain liability and malpractice insurance. Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in confidential matters. Patient-oriented, sensitive to the needs of the college student population, ability to multi-task and work in a team environment.
Compensation includes a starting salary that is commensurate with experience, professional development opportunities, a comprehensive health plan, paid vacation and participation in a retirement plan.
Send cover letter, resume and three (3) professional letters of reference to: email@example.com
Email subject line should include the full name of the position for which you are applying and all documents should be in Word format.
Send cover letter, resume and three (3) professional letters of reference to:
Director for Human Resources
Philander Smith College
900 Daisy Bates Drive
Little Rock, AR 72202
No Phone Calls, Please.
Philander Smith College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, color, religion, or national origin. Philander Smith College participates in E-Verify.