Library Technician - Circulation
- Company: Philander Smith College
- Updated: 11/1/2013
- Location: Philander Smith College
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Level: Entry Level
- Region: Central
- Category: Education
Philander Smith College is currently accepting applications for the position of Library Technician – Circulation.
Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Library Technician – Circulation performs duties related to carrying out circulation desk operations such as; circulate print and non-print materials, assist patrons, maintain library materials and equipment, and maintain patron database. Will also greet and assist Library users employing effective customer service skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (including, but not limited to):
1. Performs circulation services, including: processing overdue & lost material records; assisting patrons in person, computer, and intranet & via telephone; demonstrating library equipment, registering new patrons circulating materials through use of the automated system, and keeping statistics.
2. Assist patrons with technical assistance.
3. Maintain patron database.
4. Provide reference assistance & information to patrons such as library rules & procedures.
5. Monitors and performs stack maintenance, including shelving of materials, shelf-reading, shifting collections, updating shelf locators, identifying materials for preservation and updating materials.
6. Respond to the theft detectors.
7. Perform other duties assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES NEEDED:
1. Knowledge of library policies and procedures regarding circulation patron database management and issuance of overdue fines and fees.
2. Knowledge of library terminology and condition standards for materials.
3. Knowledge of automated library system.
4. Knowledge of circulation module.
5. Ability to read the shelf.
6. Knowledge of and ability to apply customer service techniques to overdue notice follow up.
7. Ability to manipulate technology for desired results.
8. Ability to manipulate system to prepare and run requested reports.
Two years college coursework plus two years of experience working in a library or other environment requiring relevant skills and abilities, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Bachelor's degree and experience working with automated systems preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Interested applicants should submit a letter of application, resume, copies of transcripts and three
letters of professional recommendations to: email@example.com.
Email subject line should include the full name of the position for which you are applying and documents should be
in Word format. You may also mail your information to:
Philander Smith College
Attn: Office of Human Resources
900 Daisy Bates Drive
Little Rock, AR 72202
Philander Smith College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, sex, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status or religion. Philander Smith College is a smoke-free and drug-free work environment. Philander Smith College participates in E-Verify.