Academic Strategist/Advisor - ASC
- Company: Philander Smith College
- Updated: 1/13/2014
- Location: Philander Smith College
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Region: Central
- Category: Education
Reporting to the Retention Director of the Academic Success and Student Retention Center, the Academic Strategist/Advisor – Academic Success Center provides assistance to the Director in designing and implementation of academic success intervention methods (early alert, advising, etc) and retention plan to assist students in progressing and persisting to degree completion.
Essential Job Functions:
• Serve as key personnel for the Early Alert System.
• Academically advise student in regarding chosen degree plan.
• Track the academic progress of assigned students.
• Provide new, continuing, and transfer students orientation and introduction to the academic structure, policies, and graduation requirements.
• Provide academically at-risk students with tools and resources to assist them remain in good standing.
• Maintain effective relations with all departments and divisions to positively affect student success and retention.
• Coordinate activities of staff members in order to achieve the departmental mission.
• Assist in supervision of student staff (work study, tutors, etc).
• Generate reports on student success and retention.
• Provide opportunities for formal and informal out-of-class contact between faculty and staff.
• Research best practices in academic advising and student retention models.
• At least three (3) years of higher education experience in an academic/student support or learning center environment.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree (preference will be given to individuals with an educational background in student personnel services).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including MS Publisher).
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Current in updated technology trends.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional letters of reference to:
Philander Smith College
Attn: Office of Human Resources
900 W. Daisy Bates Drive
Little Rock, Arkansas 72202
Applications packets can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Philander Smith College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, sex, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, or religion. Philander Smith College is a smoke-free and drug-free work environment. Philander Smith College participates in E-Verify.