Newman Delivery Inc.
Chris Newman credits his parents for much of his success. “Whether selling tires or pigs or delivering boxes or cooking barbecue, at the end of the day you are only as good as what you put into it,” he said. “That’s what my parents taught me.”
As a 22-year-old student at Arkansas State University, he started his own package transportation company, contracting with FedEx Ground. “Like any good college student, I was paying my own way, so I needed money to help pay that along,” he said.
From that first truck, Newman Delivery Inc., which operates out of Jonesboro and Olive Branch, Mississippi, now has a fleet of 15 and 17 employees. Newman received FedEx Ground’s Entrepreneur of the Year award in 2013.
He co-owns The Rack Pack BBQ Team, a catering business and barbecue cook-off champion that took third in ribs at the Memphis world championships in 2011 and again this year. Newman and his brother also run the family hog farm, and their Heritage Berkshire Pork is distributed in several major cities, along with 26 restaurants in the Memphis area.
Newman helps raise money for the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas, and his barbecue team, part of Operation BBQ Relief, provided meals in Faulkner County after the April tornado.
- Update: John Tyson, 4 Others Urge UA Board to Slow Down Stadium Expansion
- Video: Watch Wal-Mart's 2016 Shareholders' Meeting Right Here
- Alice Walton Drops Rocking W Ranch Price to $16.5M
- Update: No Action on Lawyer Sanctions; Holmes Rethinking Finding of 'Bad Faith' 21 hours ago
- Arkansas Business Presents the 40 Under 40 Class of 2016 5 days ago
- Crisis or Speed Bump? What Brexit Vote Means for World Economy 20 hours ago
- FedEx Facility in Mabelvale Sold for $31.7M 4 days ago
- Casino Campaign Announces Deal With Cherokee Nation 2 days ago