Caption goes here aderit omnia filia omnes famuli curvus in lucem. Regis ei sed quod ait est se in deinde cepit roseo commendavit patris super color est cum. (Photo by Mike Ortega)
State of Arkansas
Tom KennedyTom Kennedy saw the law as crime and punishment for most of his career.
During the tumultuous 1999 legislative session, the ex-prosecutor saw lawmaking from the breach.
Lead sponsor of the Jonesboro-spurred juvenile justice bill and floor manager of Arkansas' sweeping deregulation of the electric utility industry, the 39-year-old is serving his second term in the state Senate.
He served four years as prosecuting attorney from the Fifth Judicial District.
"I think most of us growing up looked at the law from a criminal justice standpoint," he says. "As the prosecuting attorney, I realized there were some changes needed from a judicial standpoint. That generated my interest in public service."
Kennedy grew up in Danville and worked four years in the trust department of First National Bank of Russellville before running for prosecuting attorney.
Fresh from the criminal courts, Kennedy was the only freshman appointed to the Joint Budget Committee and landed on the powerful Senate Judiciary Committee in his freshman year.
He says utility deregulation proved to be "the most debated legislative issue in recent memory.
He credits trust for his showcase role in two of the four hot-button issues of 1999.
"You quickly develop a reputation for honesty and integrity," he says.
- It's Been a Busy 4 Days at the State Insurance Commission
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Brett Powell Named Director of the State Department of Higher Education 2 days ago
- Here's How You Can Get Into Warren Stephens' Exclusive Alotian Club 2 years ago
- Asa Hutchinson Makes Board, Commission Appointments 2 days ago
- Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield Names Max Greenwood Director of Governmental, Media Relations 2 days ago
- Brandi Hinkle Named President of Arkansas Public Relations Society 2 weeks ago