Alan K. McVey
Arkansas Department of Economic Development
Alan K. McVeyAlan McVey honed his political skills in his hometown of Des Arc, serving five terms on the city council before answering the call of Gov. Mike Huckabee to be his administration's agriculture liaison in 1996.
He not only covered agriculture, but added environmental issues and then picked up economic development. It was only natural that Huckabee would turn to him to hold the then-AEDC together as acting director until Barbara Pardue was chosen to head the agency.
McVey, 37, began working for his family's timber business in Des Arc, but in 1994 joined the Des Arc branch of Farmers and Merchants Bank of Stuttgart to develop agricultural and loan portfolios.
"I've always admired my father's work ethic, " McVey says. "I believe if you work hard, do your best and treat people fairly, things will work out positively."
McVey still lives in Des Arc and commutes back and forth every day. He is past president of the Des Arc Alumni Association and the Des Arc Lions Club. He is a trustee of First Baptist Church of Des Arc.
He currently serves on the national board of the Council of State Community Development Agencies, which works with Housing and Urban Development and Congress to influence funding and policies for community and economic development.
- After Baltz Firing, CARTI Issues Statement
- Update: Asa Hutchinson, Others React to DOJ Policy Change on Marijuana
- Alice Walton Sells Her 1,400-Acre Texas Ranch
- Cogswell Motors Owner, Wife Found Dead 2 days ago
- Alliance Insurance Agents Surprised by AID Order; Plan to Buy Insolvent Agency 2 days ago
- Insurance Agent Berry Bishop Accused of Fraud, Misuse of Premium 2 days ago
- California Company Buys 600 Acres Near Keo 3 days ago
- John Bethel Retiring as PSC Executive Director; Rate Expert Leaving, Too 21 hours ago