Alan K. McVey
Arkansas Department of Economic Development
Alan K. McVeyAlan McVey honed his political skills in his hometown of Des Arc, serving five terms on the city council before answering the call of Gov. Mike Huckabee to be his administration's agriculture liaison in 1996.
He not only covered agriculture, but added environmental issues and then picked up economic development. It was only natural that Huckabee would turn to him to hold the then-AEDC together as acting director until Barbara Pardue was chosen to head the agency.
McVey, 37, began working for his family's timber business in Des Arc, but in 1994 joined the Des Arc branch of Farmers and Merchants Bank of Stuttgart to develop agricultural and loan portfolios.
"I've always admired my father's work ethic, " McVey says. "I believe if you work hard, do your best and treat people fairly, things will work out positively."
McVey still lives in Des Arc and commutes back and forth every day. He is past president of the Des Arc Alumni Association and the Des Arc Lions Club. He is a trustee of First Baptist Church of Des Arc.
He currently serves on the national board of the Council of State Community Development Agencies, which works with Housing and Urban Development and Congress to influence funding and policies for community and economic development.
- Reports: Wal-Mart Nabs Another Shopping App, Luvocracy
- FCC Approves Sinclair's $1B Deal to Buy Allbritton TV Stations, Including KATV
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- TV Host Matt Mosler Announces Departure from KARK 8 hours ago
- Our Community, Our Dollars Ends Efforts in Faulkner, Craighead Counties 1 day ago
- Bank of the Ozarks Acquires Intervest Bancshares Corp. In $228.5M Deal 11 hours ago
- Judge Rules Allens Inc. Must Pay $2M Claim 8 hours ago
- Agronomic Innovations Purchases AgRobotics of Little Rock 9 hours ago