Alan K. McVey
Arkansas Department of Economic Development
Alan K. McVeyAlan McVey honed his political skills in his hometown of Des Arc, serving five terms on the city council before answering the call of Gov. Mike Huckabee to be his administration's agriculture liaison in 1996.
He not only covered agriculture, but added environmental issues and then picked up economic development. It was only natural that Huckabee would turn to him to hold the then-AEDC together as acting director until Barbara Pardue was chosen to head the agency.
McVey, 37, began working for his family's timber business in Des Arc, but in 1994 joined the Des Arc branch of Farmers and Merchants Bank of Stuttgart to develop agricultural and loan portfolios.
"I've always admired my father's work ethic, " McVey says. "I believe if you work hard, do your best and treat people fairly, things will work out positively."
McVey still lives in Des Arc and commutes back and forth every day. He is past president of the Des Arc Alumni Association and the Des Arc Lions Club. He is a trustee of First Baptist Church of Des Arc.
He currently serves on the national board of the Council of State Community Development Agencies, which works with Housing and Urban Development and Congress to influence funding and policies for community and economic development.
- Update: John Tyson, 4 Others Urge UA Board to Slow Down Stadium Expansion
- Video: Watch Wal-Mart's 2016 Shareholders' Meeting Right Here
- Alice Walton Drops Rocking W Ranch Price to $16.5M
- Update: No Action on Lawyer Sanctions; Holmes Rethinking Finding of 'Bad Faith' 6 hours ago
- Crisis or Speed Bump? What Brexit Vote Means for World Economy 6 hours ago
- Two Former Walmart Express Stores to Reopen As Harps 1 day ago
- Arkansas Business Presents the 40 Under 40 Class of 2016 5 days ago
- Casino Campaign Announces Deal With Cherokee Nation 1 day ago