Alan K. McVey
Arkansas Department of Economic Development
Alan K. McVeyAlan McVey honed his political skills in his hometown of Des Arc, serving five terms on the city council before answering the call of Gov. Mike Huckabee to be his administration's agriculture liaison in 1996.
He not only covered agriculture, but added environmental issues and then picked up economic development. It was only natural that Huckabee would turn to him to hold the then-AEDC together as acting director until Barbara Pardue was chosen to head the agency.
McVey, 37, began working for his family's timber business in Des Arc, but in 1994 joined the Des Arc branch of Farmers and Merchants Bank of Stuttgart to develop agricultural and loan portfolios.
"I've always admired my father's work ethic, " McVey says. "I believe if you work hard, do your best and treat people fairly, things will work out positively."
McVey still lives in Des Arc and commutes back and forth every day. He is past president of the Des Arc Alumni Association and the Des Arc Lions Club. He is a trustee of First Baptist Church of Des Arc.
He currently serves on the national board of the Council of State Community Development Agencies, which works with Housing and Urban Development and Congress to influence funding and policies for community and economic development.
- At Conference, Tyson Foods Touts Stable Earnings, Sales Growth
- Caterpillar to Lay Off 60 in North Little Rock
- Video: Doug McMillon on Why Wal-Mart Chose Jet.com
- Third Walnut Ridge Defendant Gets Shorter Sentence, Co-Conspirators May Benefit 17 hours ago
- Bank of the Ozarks Contributes to Statewide Deposit Growth 23 hours ago
- Stocks Say 'Nevermind'; Reverse Recent Losses as Banks Jump 17 hours ago
- Update: Brenda Montgomery Gets 57 Months in Prison for Lawrence County Bank Theft 2 days ago
- Group Asks State Supreme Court to Dismiss Challenge to Liability Proposal 17 hours ago