Magie Enterprises Inc.
Mark MagieMark Magie, 38, and his sister, Shelly Moran, took over management of the family newspaper chain this past spring after their parents retired.
Sales topped $1 million for the second consecutive year as more than 44,000 newspapers roll off the presses each week.
The company owns four weeklies: the Cabot Star Herald, Lonoke Democrat; Carlisle Independent and Sherwood Voice. Rounding out the list are the daily Jacksonville Patriot; and weekly shopper ADvantage, covering north Pulaski and Lonoke counties.
Although Magie is general manager of the newspapers, he writes articles, lays out pages and even delivers papers when needed.
"In our small operation, you just about have to do it all sometimes," he says.
Magie always wanted to be in the newspaper business but took a six-year detour with the Air Force after earning a journalism degree from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.
He's a major in the Arkansas Air National Guard and serves on the board of directors for the Arkansas Press Association and Bank of Cabot.
- See the Trailer for 'Antiquities,' A Film Shot in Arkansas
- Video: Watch the Walmart Shareholders' Meeting Here
- The Hub Featured in PBS' 'NewsHour'
- Landreaux Named 1st Woman to Lead Entergy Arkansas; Riley Goes to New Orleans 1 day ago
- First Security Fights 'Warehouse Sale' of Lauren James 2 days ago
- Duke Replaces Duke at Capital Bank 2 days ago
- Taylor & Taylor Sues a Rival: Taylor & Taylor 2 days ago
- Bailey-Led BSR REIT Goes Public Via Toronto 2 days ago