George Makris Jr.
M.K. Distributors Inc.
George Makris Jr.With privilege comes responsibility, and George Makris Jr. is clearly mindful of that in discussing how his family's beer distributorship has changed since his father started it in 1964.
"Some of our biggest efforts these days are in the promotion of responsible consumption," says Makris, whose company distributes Anheuser-Busch products in a five-county area of southeast Arkansas.
Under his direction, M.K. sold its institutional food business in 1991 to Quality Foods Inc., headed by Makris' father-in-law, Don Kirkpatrick. He bought another Anheuser-Busch distributor, expanding M.K.'s reach by three counties. Sales are up 8 percent this year, on target for $15 million.
Makris, 38, serves on the Anheuser-Busch National Wholesaler Advisory Panel, an appointed position that entails consulting with management on nationwide distribution issues.
As president of a licensed business, Makris believes he has an obligation to be involved civicly. He's active in economic development and serves on the boards of Jefferson Regional Medical Center and Worthen National Bank of Pine Bluff. With three young boys, he's also involved in youth sports.
- Performance, Not Academics, Drive Incentives for SEC Football Coaches
- Crye-Leike Adopts New Safety Rules After Beverly Carter Death
- Wal-Mart Cheered, Jeered for Solar Power Efforts
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 4 days ago
- Crye-Leike Adopts New Safety Rules After Beverly Carter Death 22 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- Picasolar Receives $800k DOE Grant for Solar Efficiency 22 hours ago
- Tom Cotton and Me (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 4 days ago