ESI Group of Cos.
Rod FordRod Ford's ESI Group of Cos. is growing so fast that a casual observer needs a scorecard to keep up.
ESI, which includes ESI Automation, Extra Soft Inc. and Enterprise Solutions Inc., designs and builds computer-controlled systems that improve companies' efficiency. Its revenue on average has doubled every year since it was founded in 1988. Revenue last year was up 60 percent.
ESI opened an office in Tulsa, Okla., in October. A third office recently opened in New Orleans, primarily because of a big contract with Shell Oil Co. ESI is installing systems on offshore platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. The systems transmit data over a microwave link back to Shell's New Orleans office.
"We're not chasing these projects for the sake of technology," the 35-year-old Ford says. "We understand that our role is to solve a business problem and the technology is a tool set that allows us to do that."
Ford is an avid golfer and an occasional pilot. He'll relieve some of the pressures of his business next month at a Fighter Pilot USA school in Chicago. He'll fly a plane over Lake Michigan and play a game of aerial laser tag with another pilot, while cameras in the cockpit and on a chase plane film everything.
"I can't wait for it," Ford says.
- Video: Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Jobs at Sun Paper, Mercy Northwest, GW Communication & Sprint
- Dave & Buster's to Open in June at Grove at Gateway Town Center
- Robinson Center Adding Outdoor Terrace, Begins Booking Events
- SIG Sauer Finalizes Plans to Move to Jacksonville 22 hours ago
- Oreos, Apple and Core Knowledge (Craig Douglass On Consumers) 3 days ago
- AEDC Opens Bids for Advertising Contracts 1 day ago
- Baptist Health Promotes 2 at North Little Rock Campus 1 day ago
- Murphy Oil Reports 1Q Loss of $198M 17 hours ago