Women's Athletic Director
University of Arkansas
Bev LewisBev Lewis believes an athletic director at a major college in the 1990s often needs to think like a coach to address the staff's needs and sometimes like a promote to draw fans to games.
Also, politics comes in handy when working with a $4 million budget. And at the University of Arkansas, where it seems an athletic facility is always being built or renovated, a little construction foreman mentality wouldn't hurt, either.
Lewis, 38, came to the university in 1981 as a track coach. In 1989 Chancellor Dan Ferritor asked her to take on the AD's role on an interim basis. It soon became permanent when Lewis was "swamped" balancing two positions.
Under Lewis the women's athletic program has become one of best around. Volleyball and golf teams were added recently; and when softball begins next year women, will be competing in 10 sports.
"It's been a real period of growth for women's athletics, both at Arkansas and around the country," Lewis says. "I really think we're getting ready to take off."
Lewis' major project now is converting the old George Cole men's baseball field into a women's softball complex.
- Video: Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Jobs at Sun Paper, Mercy Northwest, GW Communication & Sprint
- Dave & Buster's to Open in June at Grove at Gateway Town Center
- Robinson Center Adding Outdoor Terrace, Begins Booking Events
- Soul of the South Investors Battle over KMYA License 2 days ago
- Structural Failure (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 2 days ago
- With Dazzling Gem, Steve Landers Sr. Stays In the Running 2 days ago
- CS&L Completes $409M Deal for PEG Bandwidth 2 days ago
- Phyzit Puts App On Athenahealth Marketplace, Adds Greg Bledsoe As Adviser 2 days ago