Caption goes here aderit omnia filia omnes famuli curvus in lucem. Regis ei sed quod ait est se in deinde cepit roseo commendavit patris super color est cum. (Photo by Mike Ortega)
Women's Athletic Director
University of Arkansas
Bev LewisBev Lewis believes an athletic director at a major college in the 1990s often needs to think like a coach to address the staff's needs and sometimes like a promote to draw fans to games.
Also, politics comes in handy when working with a $4 million budget. And at the University of Arkansas, where it seems an athletic facility is always being built or renovated, a little construction foreman mentality wouldn't hurt, either.
Lewis, 38, came to the university in 1981 as a track coach. In 1989 Chancellor Dan Ferritor asked her to take on the AD's role on an interim basis. It soon became permanent when Lewis was "swamped" balancing two positions.
Under Lewis the women's athletic program has become one of best around. Volleyball and golf teams were added recently; and when softball begins next year women, will be competing in 10 sports.
"It's been a real period of growth for women's athletics, both at Arkansas and around the country," Lewis says. "I really think we're getting ready to take off."
Lewis' major project now is converting the old George Cole men's baseball field into a women's softball complex.
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Inauguration Day in Arkansas
- Proposal Filed To End Arkansas' Private Option Compromise Medicaid Plan 1 day ago
- Moses Tucker Real Estate Looks to Next Generation, Plans for Future 2 days ago
- Ross Cranford on the Current 'Revolutionary' Climate in Advertising & Marketing 2 days ago
- Good Luck With That (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 2 days ago
- Magellan Pipeline Seeks Eminent Domain on Slice of Property 2 days ago