The Watkins Co.
Richard WatkinsWhen he went to the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville for a degree in business administration, Rick Watkins was planning to take a $24,000-a-year job selling computers for IBM Corp. Instead, he took a $12,000-a-year job working for his dad as a printing broker.
"Well, actually, he only paid me $9,000," Watkins recalls, "and I've got the W-2 to prove it."
In hindsight, the move seems to have been prudent - Watkins is now the president of a 200-employee, two-state printing business ranked among the top 200 printers in the nation.
About 90 percent of The Watkins Co.'s business is printing grocery store circulars.
He also delved into the political arena by working on the campaigns of state Rep. Bill Gwatney, D-Jacksonville, in 1984-92.
The 39-year-old Watkins is now serving as campaign manager for the Winston Bryant for Senate campaign, a job that takes up most of his free time.
He does find time to serve as a vice president for public relations for the Central Arkansas Boy Scouts of America - Watkins is himself an Eagle Scout.
He and his wife, Marcia, have two children.
- Caterpillar to Lay Off 60 in North Little Rock
- Video: Doug McMillon on Why Wal-Mart Chose Jet.com
- Wall Street Journal: Bank of the Ozarks Fills Loan Void in Big Markets
- Wal-Mart Takes Texas to Court to Crack Liquor-Sales Market 15 hours ago
- Latest Numbers Factor in Arkansas Medicaid Debate (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 15 hours ago
- Wal-Mart CEO Doug McMillon Gets $25.6M Pay Package 2 years ago
- Harry Scott, Former President of Thompson Industries of Russellville, Dies at 64 3 years ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 4 years ago