The Watkins Co.
Richard WatkinsWhen he went to the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville for a degree in business administration, Rick Watkins was planning to take a $24,000-a-year job selling computers for IBM Corp. Instead, he took a $12,000-a-year job working for his dad as a printing broker.
"Well, actually, he only paid me $9,000," Watkins recalls, "and I've got the W-2 to prove it."
In hindsight, the move seems to have been prudent - Watkins is now the president of a 200-employee, two-state printing business ranked among the top 200 printers in the nation.
About 90 percent of The Watkins Co.'s business is printing grocery store circulars.
He also delved into the political arena by working on the campaigns of state Rep. Bill Gwatney, D-Jacksonville, in 1984-92.
The 39-year-old Watkins is now serving as campaign manager for the Winston Bryant for Senate campaign, a job that takes up most of his free time.
He does find time to serve as a vice president for public relations for the Central Arkansas Boy Scouts of America - Watkins is himself an Eagle Scout.
He and his wife, Marcia, have two children.
- CinemaCon 2015 Will Have an Arkansas Flavor
- Wal-Mart Commends Asa Hutchinson for Work on HB1228
- Wal-Mart Is Now Calling for a Veto of HB1228
- Widespread Growth Seen in Northwest Arkansas 6 days ago
- USA Truck CEO Paid $1.4M in Total Compensation in 2014 2 days ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 3 years ago
- Humor Warms Bench in John Rogers Court Case 6 days ago
- Slideshow: Inside Robinson Center's $68 Million Renovation Project 6 days ago