C. Lowry Barnes
C. Lowry Barnes, Orthopedic Surgeon
C. Lowry BarnesBelieving it's important that physicians take leadership roles in the everchanging world of health care, C. Lowry Barnes is doing just that.
The 38-year-old Barnes is president of the St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center Physician Hospital Organization (PHO), a term that will expire next January. He's also president of North River Surgery Center, part of the St. Vincent Medical Center-Sherwood. And his leadership doesn't stop there.
Three years ago, Barnes and fellow orthopedists Tom Frazier and Ted Saer formed the Arkansas Orthopedic Network, made up of 60 doctors across Arkansas. The goal of the group is to enhance purchasing power and improve contracting for orthopedists with managed care firms. Barnes is AON's president.
And he's also president of Arkansas Specialty Orthopedics, a group created March 1 by the merger of three Little Rock orthopedic practices.
Barnes says he wanted to pursue medicine as a career as far back as childhood. He worked as an orderly while in high school and would watch surgery. He credits Banks Blackwell, a prominent Pine Bluff orthopedist, for "taking me under his wing" and inspiring him to move in that direction.
"In medical school, I looked at other things but I always came back to orthopedics," Barnes says.
He attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and UAMS in Little Rock and did his residency at Harvard University before beginning his practice in Little Rock.
Away from his physician duties, Barnes devotes time to the Arkansas Arthritis Foundation.
- Alice Walton Sells Her 1,400-Acre Texas Ranch
- Gary Heathcott Responds to Arkansas Business Cover Story
- Report: County Commission in Kansas Rescinds $500M Pledge for Tyson Foods Plant
- Arkansas Bank 'Moving Forward' on Servicing Medical Marijuana Industry 19 hours ago
- UAMS' Projected Deficit Rises to $72M 19 hours ago
- Morrilton Packing to Invest $2.1M, Add 34 Jobs 5 hours ago
- CHI St. Vincent Readies $50M Plan for Central Arkansas 19 hours ago
- Cotton Exit Could Upend Arkansas '18 Election (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 11 hours ago