S. Mark Brockinton
Aon Risk Services Inc. of Arkansas
S. Mark BrockintonIn 1987, five years after Mark Brockinton began his insurance career, he decided it was time to start his own business.
"We just bootlegged it up, mortgaged everything we had and started a little practice - myself and four girls," says Brockinton, a 38-year-old native of North Little Rock.
Immediately he was more than $125,000 in debt.
"In 1987, we had our first child on the way and we had every dime to our name tied up with the bank," he says. "If it makes it, great, and if it doesn't, we're back in Levy starting over."
The business, S. Mark Brockinton & Associates Inc., focused on property and casualty insurance for the transportation industry.
Brockinton & Associates grew from $2 million in business to about $50 million in 1996, he says.
"The bottom line is that we were just very blessed," Brockinton says. "We had a bunch of young people who wanted to work hard."
In 1996, he merged the firm with Aon, one of the largest insurance brokerage and consulting companies in the world. From the beginning, Brockinton was commissioned by the chairman of Aon, Patrick Ryan, with the task of building a national transportation practice for Aon.
As national managing director of Aon's motor carriers practice, Brockinton coordinates that division for every Aon office in the country.
- Video: Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Jobs at Sun Paper, Mercy Northwest, GW Communication & Sprint
- Dave & Buster's to Open in June at Grove at Gateway Town Center
- Robinson Center Adding Outdoor Terrace, Begins Booking Events
- Arkansas Convention Center Troubles Dog Texarkana Investor 18 hours ago
- After Oh Baby Sale, It's Back to Basics for Fran Free 18 hours ago
- Gateway Town Center Tracts Top $10.4M (Real Deals) 18 hours ago
- Steve Landers Sr. Stays In the Running 18 hours ago
- Arkansas Insurance Department Puts Out Feelers on New Space 18 hours ago