S. Mark Brockinton
Aon Risk Services Inc. of Arkansas
S. Mark BrockintonIn 1987, five years after Mark Brockinton began his insurance career, he decided it was time to start his own business.
"We just bootlegged it up, mortgaged everything we had and started a little practice - myself and four girls," says Brockinton, a 38-year-old native of North Little Rock.
Immediately he was more than $125,000 in debt.
"In 1987, we had our first child on the way and we had every dime to our name tied up with the bank," he says. "If it makes it, great, and if it doesn't, we're back in Levy starting over."
The business, S. Mark Brockinton & Associates Inc., focused on property and casualty insurance for the transportation industry.
Brockinton & Associates grew from $2 million in business to about $50 million in 1996, he says.
"The bottom line is that we were just very blessed," Brockinton says. "We had a bunch of young people who wanted to work hard."
In 1996, he merged the firm with Aon, one of the largest insurance brokerage and consulting companies in the world. From the beginning, Brockinton was commissioned by the chairman of Aon, Patrick Ryan, with the task of building a national transportation practice for Aon.
As national managing director of Aon's motor carriers practice, Brockinton coordinates that division for every Aon office in the country.
- Heartbleed? No Need for Heart Attack, We've Got Help, Advice
- CMS Database Shows Medicare Payments to Doctors, Others in 2012
- NY Post Reports Alice Walton Might Be Buyer of $70M Penthouse
- French Hill Criticized in GOP Debate Over Donation 8 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- $150 Million Sale Brings an End To Wilson Empire 3 years ago
- Debate Might Not Change Arkansas Senate Race (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 8 hours ago
- Rickenbach Indictment Reveals More Details of One Bank Under Scooter Stuart 1 week ago