Plant Operations Manager
Gerber Products Co.
Baxter GladdenBaxter Gladden is the youngest plant operations manager for Gerber Products Co. in the history of the company's Fort Smith facility.
The 32-year-old says his greatest accomplishment is reaching the top of plant management in such a short period of time.
"I'm pretty proud of that," Gladden says. "People have been very receptive to working for a younger person."
Gladden was named plant operations manager of the facility in May. In that capacity, Gladden is responsible for every aspect of the Gerber facility's operations - from engineering to shipping, he's in charge.
Before working as plant operations manager, he was manufacturing manager. He has been with Gerber, the Fremont, Mich.-based maker of baby foods, since 1987.
He started work as a produce field representative after earning a degree in agricultural business from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Gladden started his career in Fort Smith but was relocated for several years to a Gerber facility in North Carolina. He returned to Fort Smith in 1997.
"I was very happy to get back home to Arkansas," the Pine Bluff native says.
He says he believes that the people who work on the floor of the manufacturing facility are the greatest asset his company has.
"The day and age of managers sitting in offices and determining how things are going to be done on the floor of the plant are over," Gladden says. "To do that is pretty arrogant. You have to get away from that and solicit input from the people on the floor. They have a lot of the answers."
- Update: Asa Hutchinson, Others React to DOJ Policy Change on Marijuana
- Alice Walton Sells Her 1,400-Acre Texas Ranch
- Gary Heathcott Responds to Arkansas Business Cover Story
- Thinking Big Rigs, Arkansas Company Cleans Up 1 day ago
- Riverfest to Return Memorial Day Weekend 5 days ago
- Jonesboro Native, Former Ambassador: Isolationism Not An Option 3 days ago
- Erin Brogdon Pleased With Intersection of Legal Work, City Connections 6 days ago
- Medicaid Plan's Fate Uncertain as Arkansas Lawmakers Convene 6 days ago