Micro Computer Technologies
Brian JamesBrian James got into the computer business by accident.
In the early 1980s, James took over the oldest weekly newspaper west of the Mississippi River, the White County Record in Judsonia. He went from there to found the Beebe Banner and the Bryant Progress, two other weeklies, and also took over the Little Red River Journal in Pangburn.
"We were cranking up newspapers and helping newspapers that were having a hard time surviving by bringing in complete computerized operations in there," he says.
So, at a time when small newspapers were struggling to justify the cost of expensive typesetting equipment, James and his partners jumped into computer-produced publishing.
"Suddenly you could completely lay out a newspaper in ways the public has never seen before," the 34-year-old James says. "We became really knowledgeable of totally computerizing it. Everybody saw what we were doing, and we got to doing more computer work than we were doing publishing work."
The business evolved into a partnership with Terry Johnson, and the original Micro Computer Center at Asher and University avenues in Little Rock was born. That sold to The Future Now about seven years ago, the James then formed Micro Computer Technologies.
For most of his working career, James has been self-employed.
"It just kind of worked out that way," he says. "I never really planned on it being that way, but I always had great relationships with partners."
James is a supporter and volunteer for the Arkansas Kidney Foundation, organizing the charity's golf tournament. James is also a member of the Greater Little Rock Chamber of Commerce and the Arkansas Press Association.
- Video: Bank of the Ozarks Marks 20 Years as a Public Company at Nasdaq
- Watch the Wal-Mart Shareholders' Meeting Here
- SCA Pharmaceuticals to Build 90K-SF Plant in Connecticut
- Update: Arvest to Buy Bear State Bank in $391M All-Cash Deal 22 hours ago
- CARTI Names Adam Head as President, CEO 15 hours ago
- As Hill Becomes CEO at Few, Ho Will Fill His Digital Shoes at CJRW 21 hours ago
- Fed, State Bank Board OK Home BancShares' Stonegate Bank Deal 16 hours ago
- Arkansas Medical Marijuana Association Names Board Chair 2 days ago