Micro Computer Technologies
Brian JamesBrian James got into the computer business by accident.
In the early 1980s, James took over the oldest weekly newspaper west of the Mississippi River, the White County Record in Judsonia. He went from there to found the Beebe Banner and the Bryant Progress, two other weeklies, and also took over the Little Red River Journal in Pangburn.
"We were cranking up newspapers and helping newspapers that were having a hard time surviving by bringing in complete computerized operations in there," he says.
So, at a time when small newspapers were struggling to justify the cost of expensive typesetting equipment, James and his partners jumped into computer-produced publishing.
"Suddenly you could completely lay out a newspaper in ways the public has never seen before," the 34-year-old James says. "We became really knowledgeable of totally computerizing it. Everybody saw what we were doing, and we got to doing more computer work than we were doing publishing work."
The business evolved into a partnership with Terry Johnson, and the original Micro Computer Center at Asher and University avenues in Little Rock was born. That sold to The Future Now about seven years ago, the James then formed Micro Computer Technologies.
For most of his working career, James has been self-employed.
"It just kind of worked out that way," he says. "I never really planned on it being that way, but I always had great relationships with partners."
James is a supporter and volunteer for the Arkansas Kidney Foundation, organizing the charity's golf tournament. James is also a member of the Greater Little Rock Chamber of Commerce and the Arkansas Press Association.
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas
- Arkansans Have Endured 80k Political Ads Worth $33.1M
- Performance, Not Academics, Drive Incentives for SEC Football Coaches
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas 14 hours ago
- Turner Grain Merchandising Files $25M Bankruptcy 10 hours ago
- Turner Grain Collapse Prompts Legislation 11 hours ago
- University of Arkansas Alumna Gives $600k to Alma Mater 1 day ago
- Home BancShares Completes Purchase of Broward Financial 13 hours ago