Todd RiceMaking old things new is the driving force in Todd Rice's professional life these days. The Little Rock native formed the Vanadis Group with partner Paul Esterer earlier this year to pursue historical redevelopment projects.
The roots of the venture date back to 1995 with the Kramer School redevelopment. That $3.5 million project converted the old Little Rock school into a 22-unit artist colony.
That project received the Arkansas State Historical Excellence in Preservation Award in 1997 as well as other accolades.
Vanadis was retained as a consultant to oversee development of Trinity Court Apartments in Little Rock. The 22-unit project is in an turn-of-the-century hospital that later became a nursing home.
Rice attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and has worked 15 years in the family insurance business under the Mutual of Omaha banner.
The 38-year-old businessman remains active in insurance sales, but most of his time is devoted to historic redevelopment deals, which are driven by historic tax credits.
"There's a lot of work out there," Rice says. "There's not enough time to do everything."
The Vanadis Group, which intends to be a major player in redevelopment activity in Little Rock, has explored 40 adaptive reuse projects involving historic properties around Arkansas as well as Memphis and St. Louis.
Rice serves on the boards of the Quapaw Quarter Association and Downtown Partnership. He also worked for five years with the Big Brothers program.
- John James Wants to Turn Old Post Office into Startup Hub
- Arkansas Business Wrote About Police Investigating Richard Johns in 2012
- PTI to Provide Projection Mapping on Old State House for LR Film Festival
- Courtyard by Marriott to Open Along Highway 49 in Jonesboro 14 hours ago
- Jeff Amerine: 'Open Innovation' Model Can Work for Entire State 1 day ago
- Wal-Mart Closes on Land for New Fayetteville Store (NWA Real Deals) 5 days ago
- Governor Signs Bill for $87M Lockheed Martin Incentive 12 hours ago
- Someone's Son Is Dead (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 5 days ago