Todd RiceMaking old things new is the driving force in Todd Rice's professional life these days. The Little Rock native formed the Vanadis Group with partner Paul Esterer earlier this year to pursue historical redevelopment projects.
The roots of the venture date back to 1995 with the Kramer School redevelopment. That $3.5 million project converted the old Little Rock school into a 22-unit artist colony.
That project received the Arkansas State Historical Excellence in Preservation Award in 1997 as well as other accolades.
Vanadis was retained as a consultant to oversee development of Trinity Court Apartments in Little Rock. The 22-unit project is in an turn-of-the-century hospital that later became a nursing home.
Rice attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and has worked 15 years in the family insurance business under the Mutual of Omaha banner.
The 38-year-old businessman remains active in insurance sales, but most of his time is devoted to historic redevelopment deals, which are driven by historic tax credits.
"There's a lot of work out there," Rice says. "There's not enough time to do everything."
The Vanadis Group, which intends to be a major player in redevelopment activity in Little Rock, has explored 40 adaptive reuse projects involving historic properties around Arkansas as well as Memphis and St. Louis.
Rice serves on the boards of the Quapaw Quarter Association and Downtown Partnership. He also worked for five years with the Big Brothers program.
- Hutchinson: Arkansas 'Ready to Go' on ACA Repeal But Concerned About Trade Tax
- Live Video: Watch Gov. Asa Hutchinson's Speech to the Legislature
- On MSNBC, Fox Business, Cotton and Hutchinson Talk Health Care Reform
- Obama was Unpopular in Arkansas, but Legacy Hazy (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 7 hours ago
- Lawmakers Decline to Approve Lottery Ad Contract 4 days ago
- Video: Daisy To Expand Rogers Plant, Create 25 Jobs 4 days ago
- State Chamber Drafting Bill to Clarify Marijuana Law for Employers 6 days ago
- Simmons Reports 4Q Net Income of $27M 4 days ago