Todd RiceMaking old things new is the driving force in Todd Rice's professional life these days. The Little Rock native formed the Vanadis Group with partner Paul Esterer earlier this year to pursue historical redevelopment projects.
The roots of the venture date back to 1995 with the Kramer School redevelopment. That $3.5 million project converted the old Little Rock school into a 22-unit artist colony.
That project received the Arkansas State Historical Excellence in Preservation Award in 1997 as well as other accolades.
Vanadis was retained as a consultant to oversee development of Trinity Court Apartments in Little Rock. The 22-unit project is in an turn-of-the-century hospital that later became a nursing home.
Rice attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and has worked 15 years in the family insurance business under the Mutual of Omaha banner.
The 38-year-old businessman remains active in insurance sales, but most of his time is devoted to historic redevelopment deals, which are driven by historic tax credits.
"There's a lot of work out there," Rice says. "There's not enough time to do everything."
The Vanadis Group, which intends to be a major player in redevelopment activity in Little Rock, has explored 40 adaptive reuse projects involving historic properties around Arkansas as well as Memphis and St. Louis.
Rice serves on the boards of the Quapaw Quarter Association and Downtown Partnership. He also worked for five years with the Big Brothers program.
- IKEA is Coming to Memphis
- Twerking, Meditation Lead Year's Top Google How-To Searches in Little Rock
- Wal-Mart CEO Says Company's U.S. Workers Will Soon Make Above Federal Minimum Wage
- Wal-Mart Investment in Solar Energy Transforms Industry 2 weeks ago
- Outlets at Little Rock Developer Talks Construction, Tenants, Impact 4 days ago
- First Arkansas Bank Wins $14.5M Default Judgment Against John Rogers 2 days ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- With China Venture in Rearview Mirror, Mark McLarty Turns Efforts Home 3 days ago