Todd RiceMaking old things new is the driving force in Todd Rice's professional life these days. The Little Rock native formed the Vanadis Group with partner Paul Esterer earlier this year to pursue historical redevelopment projects.
The roots of the venture date back to 1995 with the Kramer School redevelopment. That $3.5 million project converted the old Little Rock school into a 22-unit artist colony.
That project received the Arkansas State Historical Excellence in Preservation Award in 1997 as well as other accolades.
Vanadis was retained as a consultant to oversee development of Trinity Court Apartments in Little Rock. The 22-unit project is in an turn-of-the-century hospital that later became a nursing home.
Rice attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and has worked 15 years in the family insurance business under the Mutual of Omaha banner.
The 38-year-old businessman remains active in insurance sales, but most of his time is devoted to historic redevelopment deals, which are driven by historic tax credits.
"There's a lot of work out there," Rice says. "There's not enough time to do everything."
The Vanadis Group, which intends to be a major player in redevelopment activity in Little Rock, has explored 40 adaptive reuse projects involving historic properties around Arkansas as well as Memphis and St. Louis.
Rice serves on the boards of the Quapaw Quarter Association and Downtown Partnership. He also worked for five years with the Big Brothers program.
- Memphis' Soul Fish Cafe Headed to Little Rock
- Tom Dalton: ARK Challenge Will Continue
- Cache Chef Payne Harding Apologizes After Protestors Hit With Water
- A Proud Moment for Our State: The Arkansas Women's Hall of Fame 2 days ago
- Kevin Huchingson of Colliers on What Makes Commercial Real Estate in Arkansas Attractive 1 year ago
- Leslie Rutledge: Arkansas Law Allows 'Open Carry' of Guns 2 days ago
- Central Arkansas Planners Think I-30 Proposal Costly, Inefficient 2 weeks ago
- At the Martha Shoffner Sentencing, Questions Over 'Benefit,' Jurisdiction 2 days ago