Elizabeth S. Small
Phillips Development Corp.
Elizabeth S. SmallElizabeth S. Small was the first employee at Phillips Development Corp. 14 years ago. Today she is the company's president, managing 71 full- and part-time workers.
"There has never, never in 14 years been a dull day," Small says of the job she loves.
The 38-year-old executive graduated from Hendrix College in 1981 with a theater degree, worked at a local law firm, then joined Phillips, a real estate development, property management and construction company in Little Rock. She became president in January.
In this time Small has learned what it takes to be successful.
"To be a good leader you have to listen. That's what I do all the time is listen and absorb, and then act - never in the other order," she says.
Small, who has an Arkansas real estate license, keeps busy with various community and professional activities, including being a board member and past president of Rural Rental Housing Association of Arkansas. She also serves on the Volunteers of America board, is a 20th Century Club member, a City of Little Rock Private Industry Council member, a volunteer with American Field Service and is children's choir director at Trinity United Methodist Church, and more.
Small most enjoys working with children through the choir and seeing the significance the 20th Century Club has on cancer patients.
The Rural Rental Housing Association of Arkansas is also important to her professional life. "We house a lot of people in the state of Arkansas in housing that they otherwise couldn't afford. I feel very strongly about my business," Small says.
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas
- Arkansans Have Endured 80k Political Ads Worth $33.1M
- Performance, Not Academics, Drive Incentives for SEC Football Coaches
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- Turner Grain Merchandising Files $25M Bankruptcy 2 days ago
- UPDATED: Bill Clark, Leader in Business, Dies at 63 7 years ago
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 6 days ago
- Crye-Leike Adopts New Safety Rules After Beverly Carter Death 3 days ago