Potpourri Specialties Inc.
Burt HannaTo many people, it would seem that Burt Hanna, 34, of Fayetteville, has had a charmed life. He went from professional water skier to owner of a potpourri business that's expected to bring in $10 million in gross sales this year.
In 1987, Henna's wife, Donna, a professional water skier he met at a show in Germany, made potpourri from leaves, twigs and pine needles she found in their yard. She added a little perfume her grandmother had given her and then gave the fragrant sachet back to his grandmother. That was the first batch of Hanna's potpourri.
For the next two months, the Hannas drove from Eureka Springs to Tulsa to Dallas, selling the potpourri out of their 1982 Honda Accord. The orders began to flow in and warehouses were soon needed.
Since then, Hanna has acquired two other potpourri businesses, Agape Products of Memphis and Aromance of Dallas. In addition to potpourri, the Hannas also sell sprays, candles and incense.
He says the business has grown by at least 25 percent per year in gross sales since it began in 1987.
In 1990, the Hannas were named the leading young entrepreneurs of the state by the Arkansas Small Business Administration and the State Chamber oh Commerce.
Hanna's philosophy is, "Working hard, pray and tithe."
- Report: Maumelle Police Close Murder-Suicide Case Involving UALR Professor
- Happy #ARLEGValentines Day!
- Stone Ward's Danny Koteras Reviews Super Bowl Ads
- Centennial Bank Acquires Florida Branches in FDIC-Assisted Deal 16 hours ago
- George Dunklin the High Bidder in Auction of Arkansas, Jefferson County Land 3 days ago
- Update: Baptist Health-NLR Agrees to $2.7 Million Settlement for Medicare Billing Dispute 16 hours ago
- Book Excerpt: Charles Morgan on Jeff Ubben, Acxiom's Battle With ValueAct 23 hours ago
- Cameron Smith, Karen Fetzer Named Top Executives at Arkansas Business of the Year Awards 1 day ago