Potpourri Specialties Inc.
Burt HannaTo many people, it would seem that Burt Hanna, 34, of Fayetteville, has had a charmed life. He went from professional water skier to owner of a potpourri business that's expected to bring in $10 million in gross sales this year.
In 1987, Henna's wife, Donna, a professional water skier he met at a show in Germany, made potpourri from leaves, twigs and pine needles she found in their yard. She added a little perfume her grandmother had given her and then gave the fragrant sachet back to his grandmother. That was the first batch of Hanna's potpourri.
For the next two months, the Hannas drove from Eureka Springs to Tulsa to Dallas, selling the potpourri out of their 1982 Honda Accord. The orders began to flow in and warehouses were soon needed.
Since then, Hanna has acquired two other potpourri businesses, Agape Products of Memphis and Aromance of Dallas. In addition to potpourri, the Hannas also sell sprays, candles and incense.
He says the business has grown by at least 25 percent per year in gross sales since it began in 1987.
In 1990, the Hannas were named the leading young entrepreneurs of the state by the Arkansas Small Business Administration and the State Chamber oh Commerce.
Hanna's philosophy is, "Working hard, pray and tithe."
- Alice Walton Sells Her 1,400-Acre Texas Ranch
- Gary Heathcott Responds to Arkansas Business Cover Story
- Report: County Commission in Kansas Rescinds $500M Pledge for Tyson Foods Plant
- Democrat Jared Henderson to Run for Arkansas Governor 21 hours ago
- Centennial Bank, Johnny Allison Donate $10M to A-State Athletics 2 days ago
- Morrilton Packing to Invest $2.1M, Add 34 Jobs 2 days ago
- Making NLR's Argenta a 24/7 Business Beacon 2 days ago
- SATCO Becomes Phone Company Pioneer in Solar 2 days ago