Executive Vice President
Trans-States Lines Inc.
Scott HembreeCorporate unrest inside Arkansas Best Corp. in the late 1980's led to the spinoff of Translates Lines Inc. of Fort Smith, a division ultimately bought by that city's Hembree family.
The purchase was directed and negotiated by the only family member in an executive role with the company, Scott Hembree.
Hembree, now 36, started working as. a dock hand in the early 1980's for ABF Freight System Inc. while he was finishing up college at the University of Arkansas. After he graduated, he moved into management with Arkansas Best Corp. and eventually resigned after the corporation was bought by Kelso & Co. in 1988.
After the Hembrees took over Trans-States Lines in 1989, Hembree became vice president and director of human resources.
In the eight years since the company changed hands, it has more than doubled in size to 750 employees and $65 million in annual revenue. Today, Hembree is executive vice president of the company doing "a little bit of everything," but working mainly with the company's insurance and finance. He also serves as president of subsidiary Trans-America Tire Inc.
In high school, Hembree lettered in football at Northside High School. He is an Eagle Scout and is a member of the Boy Scouts' Westark Area Council executive board- He's been chairman of the Arkansas Community Foundation and the Fort Smith Municipal Air-port Commission. Hembree is president of the Arkansas Health Care Coalition and is on several other community boards.
- Six Walton Family Members Make Forbes Wealthiest List
- Previously Withheld Clinton Records Go Public Today
- Wal-Mart Buys Yumprint of Seattle
- Harry Scott, Former President of Thompson Industries of Russellville, Dies at 64 8 months ago
- Filing Period Highlights Arkansas Political Shift (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 10 hours ago
- Underground Tunnels Challenge Hot Springs Engineers from Past to Present 4 weeks ago
- Arkansas Best Execs Enjoy Fruit of Profitable 2013 5 days ago
- Commission Investigates Judge Mike Maggio's Web Postings 3 days ago