Chairman, CEO and President
David WeissExperience and age are the usual marked traits of leadership in a medical practice, particularly one venerable as Little Rock's Radiology Associates. It speaks volumes of David Weiss, then, that the 80-year-old practice turned to a 39-year-old physician as its president.
"We decided as a group that we had to reorganize the way we do business, that every member being a board member was not an effective way to make decisions," Weiss says. "I'm very pleased the group put its faith in me."
In May, the 23-physician firm created an empowered board of five doctors to make all of its decisions. Before that, the board had an elective committee, of which Weiss was a member.
"We think we are the only medical group that has done that in the state," he says. "The funny thing is, the business world has done this forever. I don't pretend this notion is new, but medicine has been relatively sheltered from the realities of business."
Managed care is changing that, he says. His goal is to create for the firm a stable practice environment for years to come in what is a relatively unstable industry.
Weiss began his career with Radiology Associates in 1991. Its founding members were the first group of radiologists in the state.
Weiss did a fellowship in nuclear medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Centers positron-emission tomography (PET) scanner, which can detect disease on the cellular level, is an area of his expertise.
Weiss is on the school board at Pulaski Academy and serves on the school's education committee.
- Alice Walton Drops Rocking W Ranch Price to $16.5M
- Judge Puts Brakes on Parks Lawsuit Against Tyson
- Video: Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Jobs at Sun Paper, Mercy Northwest, GW Communication & Sprint
- THV11 Adds Raven Richard to Weather Team 1 week ago
- Alice Walton Drops Rocking W Ranch Price to $16.5M 3 days ago
- Rehab & Health Care Center Attracts $3.5M Transaction (Real Deals) 13 hours ago
- Consultant Allen Engstrom on the Biggest Mistake Small Businesses Should Avoid 13 hours ago
- 2 Banks Join Arkansas Business' Largest Private Companies List 13 hours ago