Cindy HovisIn high school, Cindy Hovis was voted most likely to succeed.
Other students "thought I was very driven and determined," said the 38-year-old senior manager at BKD LLP in Little Rock.
After taking a few accounting classes in high school, Hovis realized she wanted to be an accountant.
"I liked the analytical aspects of it," she said. "It sounded interesting and fun to do."
Through BKD, Hovis was outsourced as chief financial officer for Vice President Al Gore's unsuccessful 2000 presidential campaign, which had a budget of about $80 million.
During the campaign, Hovis still maintained her duties at BKD and commuted from Tennessee to Little Rock every other weekend.
Out of the office, Hovis can be found at Arkansas State University at Jonesboro, where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in accounting, assisting its Business Advisory Council to bring a master's degree program in accounting to the school.
She also is a member of the Centurion Circle, which raises money for the Centers for Youth and Family projects.
Hovis' greatest influence was her mother. "She just taught me to strive to be independent, think for yourself and work hard," Hovis said.
- Live Video: Watch Gov. Asa Hutchinson's Speech to the Legislature
- On MSNBC, Fox Business, Cotton and Hutchinson Talk Health Care Reform
- Here's the Wells Fargo Foreclosure Lawsuit on the Regions Bank Building
- Simmons First Eyes Downtown Acxiom Building in Little Rock 23 hours ago
- Simmons, Home BancShares Set To Vault Into $10B Club 23 hours ago
- John Goodson To Defend Himself at Circuit Court of Appeals 23 hours ago
- Cameron Smith & Associates Expanding 23 hours ago
- State Chamber Drafting Bill to Clarify Marijuana Law for Employers 12 hours ago