Director of Governmental Relations
University of Central Arkansas
Jeff PitchfordJeff Pitchford first received statewide attention when Gov. Huckabee promoted him from agency liaison on the governor's staff to director of the state Department of Rural Services.
"I guess that's one of my claims to fame - I was 27 at the time and was named director of an agency and was part of his cabinet," Pitchford said.
But it was in 1999, when he joined the University of Central Arkansas at Conway as director of governmental relations, that the Mountain Home native discovered what he ultimately wanted to do with his life.
UCA President Lu Hardin "will not lose any sleep tonight … but my long-term goal would be to be a college or university president," he said.
He is taking courses in higher education at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and hopes to complete his doctorate in 2006.
For now, his job is to sell UCA, especially to state legislators who provide much of its funding.
"I feel like with higher ed we're not like some industry lobbyist. Our product is education, and it's an easy sell," he said.
And UCA, where Pitchford received his B.A. in public administration, is an especially easy sell.
"I had such a great experience at UCA, and going out and selling UCA is very easy for me," he said.
- Watch the Wal-Mart Shareholders' Meeting Here
- SCA Pharmaceuticals to Build 90K-SF Plant in Connecticut
- Startup Airline Glo Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Reorganization
- Coming to You Live from 1 Shackleford Drive 2 days ago
- South Carolina Firm Buys Bowman Shopping Centers for $7.1M 9 hours ago
- An Arkansas Solution to a National Problem (Davy Carter Commentary) 2 days ago
- Public Relations Executive Bob Sells Dies at 84 11 hours ago
- Ten Commandments Monument Installed at Arkansas Capitol 10 hours ago