U.S. House of Representatives
Horseshoe Lake (Crittenden County)
Blanche LincolnBlanche Lincoln, 34, planned a career in medicine when she earned a biology degree from Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Va.
Instead; she wound up in politics in Washington, D.C.
"I worked on the Hill and downtown doing research for a law firm," Lincoln said. "I realized that there is a lot you can do in politics. You have to have patience, and you must be involved."
Lincoln mentioned her interest in politics to some friends, and one thing led to another.
"Congress was mentioned." Lincoln said.
"We decided it wasn't impossible. I knew it would be difficult, but I knew I could win - I didn't know I would win."
Lincoln became the first woman to represent the 1st District when she took office in 1993. Now in her second term, she serves on the Commerce Committee where she deals with topics such as rural water supply, health care and telecommunications.
Lincoln, a graduate of Helena-West Helena Central High School, is married to Dr. Steve Lincoln. They live a few miles southwest of Memphis.
- Here Are the Draft Rules for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, Cultivators
- Video: Tyson Unveils New Corporate Logo, Growth Strategy at Conference
- Hutchinson: Arkansas 'Ready to Go' on ACA Repeal But Concerned About Trade Tax
- Here Are the Draft Rules for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, Cultivators 2 days ago
- UCA Announces $1M Endowment for Study Abroad Programs 4 months ago
- Olivia Myers Farrell: She's as Influential as She Wants to Be 7 years ago
- Comfort Inn & Suites Transaction Checks In at $3.9M (Real Deals) 2 weeks ago
- Windstream, EarthLink Stockholders Approve Merger 2 days ago