U.S. House of Representatives
Horseshoe Lake (Crittenden County)
Blanche LincolnBlanche Lincoln, 34, planned a career in medicine when she earned a biology degree from Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Va.
Instead; she wound up in politics in Washington, D.C.
"I worked on the Hill and downtown doing research for a law firm," Lincoln said. "I realized that there is a lot you can do in politics. You have to have patience, and you must be involved."
Lincoln mentioned her interest in politics to some friends, and one thing led to another.
"Congress was mentioned." Lincoln said.
"We decided it wasn't impossible. I knew it would be difficult, but I knew I could win - I didn't know I would win."
Lincoln became the first woman to represent the 1st District when she took office in 1993. Now in her second term, she serves on the Commerce Committee where she deals with topics such as rural water supply, health care and telecommunications.
Lincoln, a graduate of Helena-West Helena Central High School, is married to Dr. Steve Lincoln. They live a few miles southwest of Memphis.
- Report: County Commission in Kansas Rescinds $500M Pledge for Tyson Foods Plant
- Little Rock Mayor Says City Will Vie for Amazon HQ
- Video: Bank of the Ozarks Marks 20 Years as a Public Company at Nasdaq
- High Number of Applicants for Arkansas Medical Marijuana 9 hours ago
- I Shouldn't Have to Say This (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 2 days ago
- Amtran Site Sold in Conway; Saltgrass Steak House Sale Finalized 2 days ago
- Hotels Proliferate in Hot Springs 2 days ago
- Activist Investor Eyes Dillard's Real Estate 2 days ago