U.S. House of Representatives
Horseshoe Lake (Crittenden County)
Blanche LincolnBlanche Lincoln, 34, planned a career in medicine when she earned a biology degree from Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Va.
Instead; she wound up in politics in Washington, D.C.
"I worked on the Hill and downtown doing research for a law firm," Lincoln said. "I realized that there is a lot you can do in politics. You have to have patience, and you must be involved."
Lincoln mentioned her interest in politics to some friends, and one thing led to another.
"Congress was mentioned." Lincoln said.
"We decided it wasn't impossible. I knew it would be difficult, but I knew I could win - I didn't know I would win."
Lincoln became the first woman to represent the 1st District when she took office in 1993. Now in her second term, she serves on the Commerce Committee where she deals with topics such as rural water supply, health care and telecommunications.
Lincoln, a graduate of Helena-West Helena Central High School, is married to Dr. Steve Lincoln. They live a few miles southwest of Memphis.
- Reactions to Tom Cotton, Mark Pryor Debate
- KUAR, PBS Look at Minimum Wage Issue in Arkansas
- Tom Dalton of Innovate Arkansas: Funding for Early Stage Startups Has Increased
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 18 hours ago
- Top College Officials See Sizable Pay Raises 18 hours ago
- Maumelle Warehouse Attracts $11.2M Sale (Real Deals) 18 hours ago
- 16 Arkansas Public School Superintendent Jobs Top $200,000 18 hours ago
- Tom Cotton and Me (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 18 hours ago