U.S. House of Representatives
Horseshoe Lake (Crittenden County)
Blanche LincolnBlanche Lincoln, 34, planned a career in medicine when she earned a biology degree from Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Va.
Instead; she wound up in politics in Washington, D.C.
"I worked on the Hill and downtown doing research for a law firm," Lincoln said. "I realized that there is a lot you can do in politics. You have to have patience, and you must be involved."
Lincoln mentioned her interest in politics to some friends, and one thing led to another.
"Congress was mentioned." Lincoln said.
"We decided it wasn't impossible. I knew it would be difficult, but I knew I could win - I didn't know I would win."
Lincoln became the first woman to represent the 1st District when she took office in 1993. Now in her second term, she serves on the Commerce Committee where she deals with topics such as rural water supply, health care and telecommunications.
Lincoln, a graduate of Helena-West Helena Central High School, is married to Dr. Steve Lincoln. They live a few miles southwest of Memphis.
- Wall Street Journal: Bank of the Ozarks Fills Loan Void in Big Markets
- Video: Watch Asa Hutchinson, Leslie Rutledge Speak at the Republican National Convention
- Video: Watch Tom Cotton's Republican National Convention Speech
- Baptist Health Sets Opening In Conway 2 days ago
- Chambers Bank Lands $2 Million Golden Judgment 2 days ago
- ‘Pokemon Go' and Social Marketing (Ross Cranford Expert Advice) 2 days ago
- Johnny Allison Plays Market for Gains After Brexit 'Bank Sale' 2 days ago
- Regulatory Costs Hit Smaller Banks Harder, St. Louis Fed Economists Conclude in Report 2 days ago