Senior Vice President
First Arkansas Bank & Trust
Jay BarberJay Barber began looking at banking as a career while in college. Having family friends and family members in the business helped influence his decision.
"It dawned on me that banking would be a way to help people, to interact with all sorts of people and learn about a lot different kinds of businesses," the 39-year-old said.
Barber joined National Bank of Commerce in Memphis in 1989 after graduating from Harding University at Searcy with a bachelor's degree in economics/management.
After a five-year stint with NBC as vice president of leasing, he went to work for First Security Bank of Searcy as vice president of lending.
The White County native worked at First Security Bank until he left in 1994 to acquire his own business.
When that deal fell through, Barber returned to banking, joining First Arkansas Bank & Trust in Jacksonville. He is senior vice president and chief credit officer at the bank.
He is a 1998 recipient of the Outstanding Young Men of America Award. His civic and volunteer work includes serving as a board member at White County Group Homes and a youth sports coach.
- See the Trailer for 'Antiquities,' A Film Shot in Arkansas
- Video: Watch the Walmart Shareholders' Meeting Here
- The Hub Featured in PBS' 'NewsHour'
- Benton Restaurants Sell for Combined $3.2 Million 3 days ago
- Senator A's Best Case (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 3 days ago
- Landreaux Named 1st Woman to Lead Entergy Arkansas; Riley Goes to New Orleans 2 days ago
- Beechwood Flood Leads to Lawsuit Against Modus Studio 3 days ago
- First Security Fights 'Warehouse Sale' of Lauren James 3 days ago