Administrator, Chief Operating Officer
Northwest Medical Center
Mark BethellMark Bethell wanted to be a doctor, but he couldn't get past chemistry.
So he did the next best thing: He became a hospital administrator.
In 2005, the 36-year-old Austin, Texas, native left a 255-bed hospital in Monroe, La., as chief operating officer to come to Northwest Medical Center-Bentonville, a 127-bed facility with about $75 million in annual revenue.
As administrator/COO, Bethell can often be found strolling the hospital's halls and chatting with some of the hospital's 550-member staff.
His management philosophy is to lead by example and manage by walking around. Bethell said staff members have great ideas and the only way to "pick their brains is to actually go visit them."
He has expanded the hospital's cardiovascular program and overseen several programs that target childhood obesity and peripheral vascular disease.
In 1998, Bethell received a master's of health services administration from George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
Bethell serves on the board of directors of the Bentonville/Bella Vista Chamber of Commerce. He also is on the board of directors for the YMCA.
"I like to get out and be a part of the community," Bethell said.
- Six Walton Family Members Make Forbes Wealthiest List
- Previously Withheld Clinton Records Go Public Today
- Wal-Mart Buys Yumprint of Seattle
- Harry Scott, Former President of Thompson Industries of Russellville, Dies at 64 8 months ago
- Filing Period Highlights Arkansas Political Shift (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 6 hours ago
- Underground Tunnels Challenge Hot Springs Engineers from Past to Present 4 weeks ago
- Commission Investigates Judge Mike Maggio's Web Postings 3 days ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago