Administrator, Chief Operating Officer
Northwest Medical Center
Mark BethellMark Bethell wanted to be a doctor, but he couldn't get past chemistry.
So he did the next best thing: He became a hospital administrator.
In 2005, the 36-year-old Austin, Texas, native left a 255-bed hospital in Monroe, La., as chief operating officer to come to Northwest Medical Center-Bentonville, a 127-bed facility with about $75 million in annual revenue.
As administrator/COO, Bethell can often be found strolling the hospital's halls and chatting with some of the hospital's 550-member staff.
His management philosophy is to lead by example and manage by walking around. Bethell said staff members have great ideas and the only way to "pick their brains is to actually go visit them."
He has expanded the hospital's cardiovascular program and overseen several programs that target childhood obesity and peripheral vascular disease.
In 1998, Bethell received a master's of health services administration from George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
Bethell serves on the board of directors of the Bentonville/Bella Vista Chamber of Commerce. He also is on the board of directors for the YMCA.
"I like to get out and be a part of the community," Bethell said.
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas
- Arkansans Have Endured 80k Political Ads Worth $33.1M
- Performance, Not Academics, Drive Incentives for SEC Football Coaches
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas 10 hours ago
- Turner Grain Merchandising Files $25M Bankruptcy 6 hours ago
- Turner Grain Collapse Prompts Legislation 7 hours ago
- University of Arkansas Alumna Gives $600k to Alma Mater 1 day ago
- Home BancShares Completes Purchase of Broward Financial 9 hours ago