Caption goes here aderit omnia filia omnes famuli curvus in lucem. Regis ei sed quod ait est se in deinde cepit roseo commendavit patris super color est cum. (Photo by Mike Ortega)
Derrick W. Smith
Mitchell Williams Selig Gates & Woodyard PLLC
Derrick W. SmithDerrick Smith said he didn't expect to practice insurance, corporate and regulatory law.
After graduating from Hendrix College at Conway in 1997 with a degree in American studies, he earned a law degree from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 2000.
The 30-year-old Marianna native started his career as a clerk to Arkansas Court of Appeals Judge Olly Neal. He joined Mitchell Williams Selig Gates & Woodyard PLLC in 2001 and became a partner in January of this year.
An opening in insurance and regulatory law landed him in the practice, and he represents some of the nation's largest insurance companies.
It's the variety that keeps him interested, he said.
"It's a different kind of practice," Smith said. "It's interesting and challenging every day."
Smith said his key to success has been embracing change and being willing when opportunity presents itself.
Smith is chair of the Hendrix College alumni board and active in Youth Home Inc., 100 Black Men of Greater Little Rock and the Young Lawyers Section of the Arkansas Bar Association.
"I tend to look for things that benefit what has benefited me," he said. "It's important to give back to any profession."
- It's Been a Busy 4 Days at the State Insurance Commission
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Arvest Mortgage CEO Bill Roehrenbeck Joins PNC Bank of Delaware 5 days ago
- Brett Powell Named Director of the State Department of Higher Education 13 hours ago
- Asa Hutchinson Makes Board, Commission Appointments 13 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Cuts About 50 Positions at Bentonville Headquarters 2 days ago
- State Board Votes to Take Over Little Rock School District 2 days ago