Caption goes here aderit omnia filia omnes famuli curvus in lucem. Regis ei sed quod ait est se in deinde cepit roseo commendavit patris super color est cum. (Photo by Mike Ortega)
Cindy ThyerCindy Thyer, 36, was simply trying to get the biggest bang for her educational buck.
"I'm the only one in my family that has chosen the path of law, and I initially went into the field because I thought it would be a solid education," Thyer said.
Just a decade removed from the University of Arkansas School of Law at Fayetteville, Thyer is a year and a half into a two-year appointment by Gov. Mike Huckabee as 2nd District circuit judge covering Clay, Craighead, Crittenden, Greene, Mississippi and Poinsett counties.
Since Thyer was appointed to fill the vacancy created by David Goodson's early retirement, she will have to give up the bench in January, but she can run for the position in 2008. The appointment by the Republican governor came as something of a surprise, she said, since Thyer's husband, Chris, is a Democratic state representative from the couple's hometown of Jonesboro.
Thyer was deputy prosecuting attorney in Craighead County from 1996-98.
After her term expires in December, Thyer will return to her practice, Halsey & Thyer PLC of Jonesboro, where her husband has filled in during her absence.
Thyer is the incoming chair of the Arkansas Bar Association Board of Governors and was the first female president of the Kiwanis Club of Jonesboro.
- It's Been a Busy 4 Days at the State Insurance Commission
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Brett Powell Named Director of the State Department of Higher Education 2 days ago
- Here's How You Can Get Into Warren Stephens' Exclusive Alotian Club 2 years ago
- Asa Hutchinson Shrinks the 'No' Caucus on Medicaid (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 8 hours ago
- Brandi Hinkle Named President of Arkansas Public Relations Society 2 weeks ago
- Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield Names Max Greenwood Director of Governmental, Media Relations 2 days ago