Vice President and General Counsel
Ridout Lumber Co./Arkansas Wholesale Lumber Co.
Ross RidoutRoss Ridout — pronounced “Ride-out” — grew up in his family’s lumber business, but that doesn’t mean his career was a foregone conclusion.
“I was actually one of these that didn’t have a clue what he wanted to do when he finished college,” the Vanderbilt University graduate said. “I applied to dental school, medical school and law school and got accepted to all three.”
He chose law school at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, class of 1994, and that training has been valuable as vice president and general counsel for Ridout Lumber Co. and its related Arkansas Wholesale Lumber Co. — especially in the unpleasant business of collections, he said. And the current housing slump, especially in northwest Arkansas, has created more of that task.
Outside of the businesses, which employ more than 400, the father of four boys spends most of his time coaching soccer, baseball and basketball. “My wife says I do it 100 percent of the time,” Ridout, 38, said.
He is also a member of the board of Arkansas Special Olympics and on the advisory board of Soaring Wings Ranch, a Christian foster care program that will open next month in eastern Faulkner County. One of the new residence halls is named for the Ridout family.
- Video: Bank of the Ozarks Marks 20 Years as a Public Company at Nasdaq
- Watch the Wal-Mart Shareholders' Meeting Here
- SCA Pharmaceuticals to Build 90K-SF Plant in Connecticut
- New Firm, Campbell Ward, Emerges From Noble Strategies 13 hours ago
- Update: Arvest to Buy Bear State Bank in $391M All-Cash Deal 2 days ago
- CARTI Names Adam Head as President, CEO 1 day ago
- Walton Family Gives $120M to Start School of Art at UA 18 hours ago
- Georgia Pacific To Sell Pine Chemicals Business for $315M 19 hours ago