C. Dwayne Shelton
First Arkansas Insurance
C. Dwayne SheltonC. Dwayne Shelton wasn’t looking for a career in the insurance industry when he entered college.
But after Shelton, 35, took a course on risk management while attending the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, he was hooked. He dropped his plans to be an architect or engineer.
“I’m kind of a numbers geek, but I’m a people person also,” Shelton said. The insurance industry seemed to combine the two.
After graduating with a degree in finance in 1994, the Fort Worth, Texas, native went to work for St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Co., where he handled everything from medical malpractice clams to underwriting surety bonds.
In 2000, Shelton took a job with First Arkansas Insurance as an account executive. By 2003, he had moved up to vice president.
Shelton said his greatest accomplishment at the firm is helping it grow. First Arkansas now writes $25 million in premiums; when Shelton started, that number was between $17 million and $18 million. The firm also recently opened an office in Bentonville.
Shelton volunteers with Junior Achievement of Arkansas and is a member of the board of directors of the Arkansas Chapter of the Associated General Contractors.
Shelton said what drives him is not his ego, but his enjoyment of his work.
“I won’t settle for mediocrity.”
- Video: ASU Exploring On-Campus Hotel, Convention Center
- After Supremes' Decision, Womack Urges Congress to Act on Online Sales Tax
- WSJ Examines Mark Pryor, Tom Cotton Senate Race
- ASU Discusses Osteopathic Medical School with NYIT 7 days ago
- 5 Years Later, John Glasgow's Disappearance Still Unexplained 10 months ago
- Arkansas Senate Candidates Hold Back Attacks (AP Analysis) 6 hours ago
- #ARWX: Bitter Cold Remains in Arkansas Around After Ice Storm 6 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 1 year ago