C. Dwayne Shelton
First Arkansas Insurance
C. Dwayne SheltonC. Dwayne Shelton wasn’t looking for a career in the insurance industry when he entered college.
But after Shelton, 35, took a course on risk management while attending the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, he was hooked. He dropped his plans to be an architect or engineer.
“I’m kind of a numbers geek, but I’m a people person also,” Shelton said. The insurance industry seemed to combine the two.
After graduating with a degree in finance in 1994, the Fort Worth, Texas, native went to work for St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Co., where he handled everything from medical malpractice clams to underwriting surety bonds.
In 2000, Shelton took a job with First Arkansas Insurance as an account executive. By 2003, he had moved up to vice president.
Shelton said his greatest accomplishment at the firm is helping it grow. First Arkansas now writes $25 million in premiums; when Shelton started, that number was between $17 million and $18 million. The firm also recently opened an office in Bentonville.
Shelton volunteers with Junior Achievement of Arkansas and is a member of the board of directors of the Arkansas Chapter of the Associated General Contractors.
Shelton said what drives him is not his ego, but his enjoyment of his work.
“I won’t settle for mediocrity.”
- Wall Street Journal: Bank of the Ozarks Fills Loan Void in Big Markets
- Video: Watch Asa Hutchinson, Leslie Rutledge Speak at the Republican National Convention
- Video: Watch Tom Cotton's Republican National Convention Speech
- Don Soderquist, Former Wal-Mart COO, Dies at 82 2 days ago
- Arkansas Democrats Try Balancing Act for Future (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 8 hours ago
- Baldwin & Shell Promote Pair to VP Positions (Movers & Shakers) 2 weeks ago
- Hugg & Hall Purchases RPM Services & Rentals of Louisiana 3 days ago
- Westrock Coffee Partners With P. Allen Smith, Razorbacks 5 days ago