Vice President and Treasurer
Murphy Oil Corp.
Mindy WestWhen Mindy West came to El Dorado with her husband, she wanted to work for Murphy Oil.
But Murphy was looking for accountants or engineers, not someone like West, who graduated from the University of Arkansas with a finance degree. So a determined West earned an accounting degree from Southern Arkansas University. “The week I graduated, I became a CPA and was hired at Murphy.”
A quick learner who embraces challenges and isn’t afraid to leave her comfort zone, West has risen quickly through the ranks to become Murphy’s youngest vice president. She became director of investor relations in 2001 and vice president and treasurer in January.
West, 38, is also treasurer and spokeswoman for the El Dorado Promise scholarship fund, Murphy’s endowment that provides tuition scholarships for graduates of El Dorado High School. She’s also a member of 50 for the Future.
West was put in charge of Murphy’s Hurricane Katrina task force to communicate with the Coast Guard, Environmental Protection Agency, Louisiana state and local government officials and homeowners after an oil spill caused by the storm’s flood surge. She also kept the media and investors informed about the situation.
“It was a challenge, but also an opportunity to grow,” West said.
- Mobile-Payment Battle Brews Between Apple, Wal-Mart
- WSJ Looks at Crystal Bridges' 'State of the Art' Exhibit
- Report: Acxiom to Open Austin Office, Hire 150
- Natural Gas in Fayetteville Shale Takes Arkansas from Zero to Billions in 10 Years 1 day ago
- Baptist Health School Sells In $8.5 Million Transaction (Real Deals) 1 week ago
- John Rogers Asks for Dismissal of Brace Suit 1 day ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- West Little Rock Hosts $1.4M Boot City Buy (Real Deals) 1 day ago