Vice President and Treasurer
Murphy Oil Corp.
Mindy WestWhen Mindy West came to El Dorado with her husband, she wanted to work for Murphy Oil.
But Murphy was looking for accountants or engineers, not someone like West, who graduated from the University of Arkansas with a finance degree. So a determined West earned an accounting degree from Southern Arkansas University. “The week I graduated, I became a CPA and was hired at Murphy.”
A quick learner who embraces challenges and isn’t afraid to leave her comfort zone, West has risen quickly through the ranks to become Murphy’s youngest vice president. She became director of investor relations in 2001 and vice president and treasurer in January.
West, 38, is also treasurer and spokeswoman for the El Dorado Promise scholarship fund, Murphy’s endowment that provides tuition scholarships for graduates of El Dorado High School. She’s also a member of 50 for the Future.
West was put in charge of Murphy’s Hurricane Katrina task force to communicate with the Coast Guard, Environmental Protection Agency, Louisiana state and local government officials and homeowners after an oil spill caused by the storm’s flood surge. She also kept the media and investors informed about the situation.
“It was a challenge, but also an opportunity to grow,” West said.
- Bloomberg: Wal-Mart Looking to Rein In Expenses
- Memphis' Soul Fish Cafe Headed to Little Rock
- Tom Dalton: ARK Challenge Will Continue
- Little Rock's Original Fern Bar: How Buster's Birthed Dave & Buster's 1 day ago
- Supply Lags Demand for Osteopathic Residencies 1 day ago
- USA Truck Executive Leaves Company to Stay in Dallas 15 hours ago
- First National Bank of Lawrence County Bilked of at Least $3.9M 22 hours ago
- John James Looks to Make New Mark With Hayseed 1 day ago