Vice President and Treasurer
Murphy Oil Corp.
Mindy WestWhen Mindy West came to El Dorado with her husband, she wanted to work for Murphy Oil.
But Murphy was looking for accountants or engineers, not someone like West, who graduated from the University of Arkansas with a finance degree. So a determined West earned an accounting degree from Southern Arkansas University. “The week I graduated, I became a CPA and was hired at Murphy.”
A quick learner who embraces challenges and isn’t afraid to leave her comfort zone, West has risen quickly through the ranks to become Murphy’s youngest vice president. She became director of investor relations in 2001 and vice president and treasurer in January.
West, 38, is also treasurer and spokeswoman for the El Dorado Promise scholarship fund, Murphy’s endowment that provides tuition scholarships for graduates of El Dorado High School. She’s also a member of 50 for the Future.
West was put in charge of Murphy’s Hurricane Katrina task force to communicate with the Coast Guard, Environmental Protection Agency, Louisiana state and local government officials and homeowners after an oil spill caused by the storm’s flood surge. She also kept the media and investors informed about the situation.
“It was a challenge, but also an opportunity to grow,” West said.
- UCA Narrows President Applicants to 8
- Asa Hutchinson Weighs In On Trump Comments
- Waltons Among Forbes' Top 20 Richest
- UCA Selects 4 President Finalists to Interview On Campus 17 hours ago
- Bear State Financial 3Q Earnings Up 47 Percent 16 hours ago
- Chinese Firm Agrees to Put Garment Plant in Little Rock, Employ 400 2 days ago
- Report: Arkansas Medical Pot Plan Costs More Than It Raises 2 days ago
- Private Solar's Future in Arkansas Hinges on PSC Review 5 days ago