Kevin BrockmeierAfter attending college at what was then Southwest Missouri State — now Missouri State — and graduate school at the University of Iowa, Kevin Brockmeier returned to his hometown of Little Rock to teach.
"I taught English and creative writing for a few years as an adjunct professor," he said, "at both UALR and Pulaski Tech."
In 2000, Brockmeier got his first book contract and has been writing full-time ever since.
To date, he has published three novels, including "A Brief History of the Dead" and the newly released "The Illumination"; two short story collections; and two children's books. His books have been translated into 18 different languages, most recently Farsi and Russian. His awards include the Arkansas Porter Prize for literary excellence and three O. Henry prizes, which are given yearly to short stories of exceptional merit.
Still, he remains humble about his accomplishments. "I've had some good fortune with the books I've published," he said. "But I don't think you can take pride in your good fortune."
Brockmeier, when not traveling for a book tour, works from his home in Little Rock.
He also occasionally takes a semester to teach as a visiting professor at the Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
Arkansas Business Staff
- After Baltz Firing, CARTI Issues Statement
- Update: Asa Hutchinson, Others React to DOJ Policy Change on Marijuana
- Alice Walton Sells Her 1,400-Acre Texas Ranch
- Insurance Agent Berry Bishop Accused of Fraud, Misuse of Premium 5 days ago
- Cantrell Drug Agrees to Stop Making and Selling Drugs 2 days ago
- Arvest Bank Closes on Bear State Acquisition 2 days ago
- Cogswell Motors Owner, Wife Found Dead 5 days ago
- Jessica DeLoach Looking for Local Leaders, Including One at Home 2 weeks ago