Kevin BrockmeierAfter attending college at what was then Southwest Missouri State — now Missouri State — and graduate school at the University of Iowa, Kevin Brockmeier returned to his hometown of Little Rock to teach.
"I taught English and creative writing for a few years as an adjunct professor," he said, "at both UALR and Pulaski Tech."
In 2000, Brockmeier got his first book contract and has been writing full-time ever since.
To date, he has published three novels, including "A Brief History of the Dead" and the newly released "The Illumination"; two short story collections; and two children's books. His books have been translated into 18 different languages, most recently Farsi and Russian. His awards include the Arkansas Porter Prize for literary excellence and three O. Henry prizes, which are given yearly to short stories of exceptional merit.
Still, he remains humble about his accomplishments. "I've had some good fortune with the books I've published," he said. "But I don't think you can take pride in your good fortune."
Brockmeier, when not traveling for a book tour, works from his home in Little Rock.
He also occasionally takes a semester to teach as a visiting professor at the Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Jerry Barakat Opening Japanese Restaurant in Hillcrest
- Waltons Check in at No. 1 on Forbes 'Richest American Families' List
- NLR Sports Memorabilia Dealer John Rogers Sued for Missed Payment 3 days ago
- Mo Money, Uber Problems (Robert Coon On Politics) 18 hours ago
- Josh Moody's Overwatch App Ready to Hit Market 16 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- Atlanta Hawks' Joe Johnson Rides Up High in His Super Truck 6 years ago