Kevin BrockmeierAfter attending college at what was then Southwest Missouri State — now Missouri State — and graduate school at the University of Iowa, Kevin Brockmeier returned to his hometown of Little Rock to teach.
"I taught English and creative writing for a few years as an adjunct professor," he said, "at both UALR and Pulaski Tech."
In 2000, Brockmeier got his first book contract and has been writing full-time ever since.
To date, he has published three novels, including "A Brief History of the Dead" and the newly released "The Illumination"; two short story collections; and two children's books. His books have been translated into 18 different languages, most recently Farsi and Russian. His awards include the Arkansas Porter Prize for literary excellence and three O. Henry prizes, which are given yearly to short stories of exceptional merit.
Still, he remains humble about his accomplishments. "I've had some good fortune with the books I've published," he said. "But I don't think you can take pride in your good fortune."
Brockmeier, when not traveling for a book tour, works from his home in Little Rock.
He also occasionally takes a semester to teach as a visiting professor at the Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Update: John Tyson, 4 Others Urge UA Board to Slow Down Stadium Expansion
- Video: Watch Wal-Mart's 2016 Shareholders' Meeting Right Here
- Alice Walton Drops Rocking W Ranch Price to $16.5M
- At Latest Summit, Wal-Mart Seeks More American-Made Goods 3 days ago
- Visa Countersues Wal-Mart in Dispute Over Debit Cards 23 hours ago
- Federal Reserve Approves 2 Bank of the Ozarks Acquisitions 2 days ago
- Stephen Curry and Nike's PowerPoint Blunder (Jim Karrh On Marketing) 4 days ago
- Bear State Gets Default Judgment in Falcon Air Suit 4 days ago