Kevin BrockmeierAfter attending college at what was then Southwest Missouri State — now Missouri State — and graduate school at the University of Iowa, Kevin Brockmeier returned to his hometown of Little Rock to teach.
"I taught English and creative writing for a few years as an adjunct professor," he said, "at both UALR and Pulaski Tech."
In 2000, Brockmeier got his first book contract and has been writing full-time ever since.
To date, he has published three novels, including "A Brief History of the Dead" and the newly released "The Illumination"; two short story collections; and two children's books. His books have been translated into 18 different languages, most recently Farsi and Russian. His awards include the Arkansas Porter Prize for literary excellence and three O. Henry prizes, which are given yearly to short stories of exceptional merit.
Still, he remains humble about his accomplishments. "I've had some good fortune with the books I've published," he said. "But I don't think you can take pride in your good fortune."
Brockmeier, when not traveling for a book tour, works from his home in Little Rock.
He also occasionally takes a semester to teach as a visiting professor at the Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Here's the New UALR Trojans Logo
- Twitter Reactions of Interest to SCOTUS Ruling
- UA Makes List of Top 100 US Patent Producers
- Bank Documents Illuminate John Rogers' Dealings 9 hours ago
- Woodland Heights Sells In $13.9M Transaction (Real Deals) 9 hours ago
- Former Hogs QB Clint Stoerner Tangles with Former Business Partners 1 week ago
- Allied Bank Properties Put Up On the Block 9 hours ago
- Dave & Buster's Grows Closer To Little Rock Landing 1 week ago