Kevin BrockmeierAfter attending college at what was then Southwest Missouri State — now Missouri State — and graduate school at the University of Iowa, Kevin Brockmeier returned to his hometown of Little Rock to teach.
"I taught English and creative writing for a few years as an adjunct professor," he said, "at both UALR and Pulaski Tech."
In 2000, Brockmeier got his first book contract and has been writing full-time ever since.
To date, he has published three novels, including "A Brief History of the Dead" and the newly released "The Illumination"; two short story collections; and two children's books. His books have been translated into 18 different languages, most recently Farsi and Russian. His awards include the Arkansas Porter Prize for literary excellence and three O. Henry prizes, which are given yearly to short stories of exceptional merit.
Still, he remains humble about his accomplishments. "I've had some good fortune with the books I've published," he said. "But I don't think you can take pride in your good fortune."
Brockmeier, when not traveling for a book tour, works from his home in Little Rock.
He also occasionally takes a semester to teach as a visiting professor at the Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Caterpillar to Lay Off 60 in North Little Rock
- Video: Doug McMillon on Why Wal-Mart Chose Jet.com
- Wall Street Journal: Bank of the Ozarks Fills Loan Void in Big Markets
- Tacos 4 Life to Open Restaurant in Little Rock 9 hours ago
- Broadway Bridge Will Close Sept. 28 1 day ago
- Caterpillar to Lay Off 60 in North Little Rock 1 day ago
- Start Here Little Rock to Host Event Saturday 10 hours ago
- Sherwood, Pulaski County Sued Over Hot Check Court Fines, Arrests 3 days ago