Mary Browne Allen
Hank's Fine Furniture
Mary Browne AllenFor Mary Browne Allen, 36, furniture is her family business. Her father is Hank Browne, who founded Hank's Fine Furniture in 1975 and is the company's CEO.
Growing up, Allen worked part time and during the summers at Hank's. After graduating from Hendrix College in 1996 with a degree in business and economics, she began working at the furniture chain full time as a salesperson.
She was promoted to merchandise manager in 1999 and expanded Hank's inventory to include more middle- to upper-end vendors.
The move worked and the company continued to grow. In 2008, Hank's opened a 75,000-SF store in west Little Rock. Allen helped design the showroom and filled the store with inventory. Because of the success of that store, Hank's opened a 95,000-SF location in Rogers in 2010.
In 2010, Allen was named president of the company, which has 14 locations and three distribution centers. The company has about 300 employees and brings in between $50 million and $60 million in revenue annually, she said.
Allen has volunteered at the Arkansas chapter of the Nature Conservancy.
Allen said she's motivated to do the best she can and to continue to grow the company. "Now it's like a very personal challenge to continue" Hank's, Allen said. "I want to carry the company forward."
Arkansas Business Staff
- Hutchinson: Arkansas 'Ready to Go' on ACA Repeal But Concerned About Trade Tax
- Live Video: Watch Gov. Asa Hutchinson's Speech to the Legislature
- On MSNBC, Fox Business, Cotton and Hutchinson Talk Health Care Reform
- More Indictments Expected in Ecclesia Kickback Case 21 hours ago
- Rock Capital to Develop $16M-$17M Downtown Little Rock Hotel 3 days ago
- Biggest Deals in Arkansas Rise 11 Percent in 2016 21 hours ago
- Librarian Sues Gravette Mayor Over Firing 21 hours ago
- Collision Center Buy Tops $2.5 Million (Real Deals) 21 hours ago