Regulatory and Governmental Affairs Manager for Arkansas & Oklahoma
A politically charged upbringing brought Katie Burns, 37, to her career as a legislative strategist for CenturyLink Inc., a telecom that supplies broadband and landline communications in rural areas.
"It was kind of a natural progression for me," she said. "I wanted to be involved in the political world — not in politics, but in the political world."
Before joining CenturyLink almost nine years ago, Burns worked for Public Strategies Inc. in Austin, which was her first job out of college.
At CenturyLink, Burns manages all legislative and regulatory pieces of business for the company in Arkansas and Oklahoma.
"Regulations are changing at warp speed," she said. "I'm making sure the company is well represented as those changes occur."
Through her time at CenturyLink, the company has gone through two mergers, acquiring Embarq Corp. of Overland Park, Kan., and Qwest Communications International Inc. of Denver. With each merger, Burns' responsibilities increased.
"We have staff changes, people moving in and out, people moving all over the place," she said. "Fortunately for me, I've had amazing bosses at every turn."
One boss she especially credits is Bill Maddox, a public strategist who convinced her to move to Texas.
Maddox, Burns said, "was the one that molded me as a person. He taught me the basics, anything from talking points to checking for details to paying attention to details."
Burns sits on the Arkansas Broadband Council and is also on Connect Arkansas' board of directors.
"My biggest job is relationships — following through, following up, staying true to my word," she said.
- Video: Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Jobs at Sun Paper, Mercy Northwest, GW Communication & Sprint
- Dave & Buster's to Open in June at Grove at Gateway Town Center
- Robinson Center Adding Outdoor Terrace, Begins Booking Events
- SIG Sauer Finalizes Plans to Move to Jacksonville 1 day ago
- Windstream Reports $232M 1Q Loss on Impairment Charge 11 hours ago
- Oreos, Apple and Core Knowledge (Craig Douglass On Consumers) 4 days ago
- Hot Springs Tourism Chief Steve Arrison Offers His Conventional Wisdom 4 days ago
- AEDC Opens Bids for Advertising Contracts 2 days ago