Caption goes here aderit omnia filia omnes famuli curvus in lucem. Regis ei sed quod ait est se in deinde cepit roseo commendavit patris super color est cum. (Photo by Mike Ortega)
Museum of Discovery
Nikki ParnellAs chief financial officer, Nikki Parnell has guided the nonprofit Museum of Discovery through a challenging season of financial transitions.
The certified public accountant and Crittenden County native began working at the museum one year before it closed for nine months of capital renovations.
Due to the closing, Parnell, 28, learned to manage without most of the organization’s sources of income, like admission fees and facility rentals. She also oversaw the $9.2 million grant that funded the project but did not cover operations.
“I feel like it’s not an experience most CFOs get to experience,” Parnell said. “You’re cutting off most of your income sources and you’re having to figure out how to run your business, pay your employees, pay utilities ... .”
Then the 85-year-old museum reopened, transitioned to having its regular income streams, rebranded and drew record crowds, changing Parnell’s challenges again.
Parnell’s career move into the nonprofit sector in 2010 as museum CFO came after four years spent primarily auditing nonprofits for Thomas & Thomas LLP in Little Rock.
The industry has proven to be “where I belong professionally,” Parnell said.
She also volunteers for other nonprofits, serving as treasurer-elect of the Junior League of Little Rock and on the event committee of Sculpture at the River Market.
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Inauguration Day in Arkansas
- How A Trans-Atlantic Investment Scam Ensnared Credit Union President Joyce Judy 15 hours ago
- Arkansas' Biggest Deals of 2014 Soar While Value Slips 15 hours ago
- Windstream Names Lewis Langston CIO, Adds Other Senior Leaders 6 hours ago
- In Arkansas, Rules Restrict e-Services By Physicians 15 hours ago
- Landowners Seek Ruling On Oil Firm's Eminent Domain Powers 3 days ago