Caption goes here aderit omnia filia omnes famuli curvus in lucem. Regis ei sed quod ait est se in deinde cepit roseo commendavit patris super color est cum. (Photo by Mike Ortega)
Arkansas State Highway & Transportation Department
Hermanie Pierre’s journey from Haiti to Arkansas includes many roads off the beaten path. At 27, Pierre is a former Miss Haiti International, a motivational speaker, an education advocate and a civil engineer for the Arkansas State Highway & Transportation Department.
At 14, Pierre moved from her childhood home of Port-Au Prince to Nashville, Tenn., to reunite with her parents. In 2010, Pierre graduated from Tennessee State University with a degree in civil engineering. Soon, she joined the AHTD as a civil engineer and quickly immersed herself in building major infrastructure projects, including a $90 million road construction project for Interstates 30 and 630.
Shedding her boots and hard hat, Pierre has competed in many pageants and was named Miss Haiti International 2012. She used her crown to work on improving the education and health of children in Haiti and created a scholarship fund for Haitians.
“Most people, when they think of pageant, think you’re cute on the outside. You can take that power and do something for the community,” Pierre said.
Pierre represents Arkansas in the National Society of Black Engineering and also works with as a motivational speaker and as a mentor for high school students.
In addition to her charitable work, Pierre aims to “get as many young people as I can get involved in civil engineering” and to advocate for science and math education.
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Inauguration Day in Arkansas
- How A Trans-Atlantic Investment Scam Ensnared Credit Union President Joyce Judy 1 day ago
- Windstream Names Lewis Langston CIO, Adds Other Senior Leaders 21 hours ago
- In Arkansas, Rules Restrict e-Services By Physicians 1 day ago
- Arkansas' Biggest Deals of 2014 Soar While Value Slips 1 day ago
- Proposal Filed To End Arkansas' Private Option Compromise Medicaid Plan 13 hours ago