Having lost the race for lieutenant governor in 2011, Shane Broadway was hired by his former Senate colleague Mike Beebe to manage the Department of Higher Education even though he did not have the on-campus academic background that state law required.
His title was interim director until last November, after a legislative change in the language of the law and a national search for a permanent appointee to finish out a little more than a year of Beebe’s final term as governor. Like other political appointees on the Power List, Broadway’s tenure is guaranteed only until a new governor is sworn in next January.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He spent three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Startup Airline Glo Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Reorganization
- Wal-Mart Sets Date for Annual Meeting
- Chris Masingill Responds to Trump Budget, Which Would End DRA
- Hospitality Arrives Before Hotel at Arkansas State 1 week ago
- After Agreement in Court, Glo Reinstates All Flights 5 days ago
- Even in Bankruptcy, College Debt Stands 1 week ago
- Higher Education Bubble Vexing for Arkansas Institutions 1 week ago
- Asa Hutchinson Calls for $70M in Budget Cuts 2 days ago