Having lost the race for lieutenant governor in 2011, Shane Broadway was hired by his former Senate colleague Mike Beebe to manage the Department of Higher Education even though he did not have the on-campus academic background that state law required.
His title was interim director until last November, after a legislative change in the language of the law and a national search for a permanent appointee to finish out a little more than a year of Beebe’s final term as governor. Like other political appointees on the Power List, Broadway’s tenure is guaranteed only until a new governor is sworn in next January.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He spent three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Arkansas Business Wrote About Police Investigating Richard Johns in 2012
- PTI to Provide Projection Mapping on Old State House for LR Film Festival
- Report: US Truckers Generated Record $700B in Revenue Last Year
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 3 years ago
- Acxiom Corp. Sells IT Business for $190M, Previews 4Q Earnings 4 days ago
- Epoch Men's Clinic Expanding in Arkansas 7 days ago
- Mountain Pure Sues Supplier for Selling Resin Mixed With Metal 7 days ago
- Acxiom Corp. Reports $6.03M 4Q Loss 3 days ago