Having lost the race for lieutenant governor in 2011, Shane Broadway was hired by his former Senate colleague Mike Beebe to manage the Department of Higher Education even though he did not have the on-campus academic background that state law required.
His title was interim director until last November, after a legislative change in the language of the law and a national search for a permanent appointee to finish out a little more than a year of Beebe’s final term as governor. Like other political appointees on the Power List, Broadway’s tenure is guaranteed only until a new governor is sworn in next January.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He spent three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate.
Arkansas Business Staff
- VentureBeat: Fayetteville's Qbox Raises $2.4M
- Bloomberg: Wal-Mart Looking to Rein In Expenses
- Memphis' Soul Fish Cafe Headed to Little Rock
- Dr. Richard Johns Indicted in Conspiracy to Distribute Oxycodone 1 day ago
- Little Rock's Original Fern Bar: How Buster's Birthed Dave & Buster's 4 days ago
- VentureBeat: Fayetteville's Qbox Raises $2.4M 1 day ago
- Appeal Court Upholds Decision to Toss K. Vaughn Knight Convictions 2 days ago
- Goodson Announces Bid for Arkansas Chief Justice 2 days ago