Having lost the race for lieutenant governor in 2011, Shane Broadway was hired by his former Senate colleague Mike Beebe to manage the Department of Higher Education even though he did not have the on-campus academic background that state law required.
His title was interim director until last November, after a legislative change in the language of the law and a national search for a permanent appointee to finish out a little more than a year of Beebe’s final term as governor. Like other political appointees on the Power List, Broadway’s tenure is guaranteed only until a new governor is sworn in next January.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He spent three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Report: FBI Investigating Turner Grain
- Student Entrepreneur's Doughnut Holes Available Soon at Spokes
- Video: Turner Grain Paid Farmer for Wheat But Not Corn
- Metro Builders Property Weighs In at $3.8 Million (Real Deals) 21 hours ago
- Lawsuit Hits Nerve for Former Friends Fighting Over Medical Fees Earned 21 hours ago
- Greenway Picks 7 John Deere Dealerships in $112M Buy 21 hours ago
- Scooter Stuart's Tainted Assets Draw More Fire 21 hours ago
- Newly Insured 'Private Option' Arkansans Present Challenges, Opportunities 21 hours ago