Having lost the race for lieutenant governor in 2011, Shane Broadway was hired by his former Senate colleague Mike Beebe to manage the Department of Higher Education even though he did not have the on-campus academic background that state law required.
His title was interim director until last November, after a legislative change in the language of the law and a national search for a permanent appointee to finish out a little more than a year of Beebe’s final term as governor. Like other political appointees on the Power List, Broadway’s tenure is guaranteed only until a new governor is sworn in next January.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He spent three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate.
Arkansas Business Staff
- Here's the Wells Fargo Foreclosure Lawsuit on the Regions Bank Building
- Video: Asa Hutchinson Talks Tax Cut, Marijuana, Trump
- Fed's James Bullard: Only One Rate Hike Needed Now
- PACE Financing Allows Aldersgate Apartments To Put Costs on Tax Bill 2 days ago
- Donna Smith Galchus of CGWG Dies 1 day ago
- Tally of Largest Commercial Building Projects in Arkansas Hits $2.4 Billion 2 days ago
- Lyon College Names W. Joseph King President 21 hours ago
- Tyson Foods Launches $150M Venture Capital Fund 1 day ago