Former state Sen. Shane Broadway's fast-track political career was sidelined in November, when the Republican tide that swept the state killed his hopes for becoming lieutenant governor in 2011. But he quickly bounced back into government by being hired in January as deputy director of the Arkansas Department of Higher Education, just in time for its director, Jim Purcell, to be lured away by the state of Louisiana in February. He is now interim director of the department.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He was a champion of education during three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate. He previously served as chairman of the education committee of the Southern Legislative Conference and was appointed to the advisory board of the Southern Regional Educational Board in 2007.
- Questions About Martha Shoffner's Arrest That Should Be Answered Monday
- Video: What We Know About the Arrest of Martha Shoffner
- Video: 'Arkansas Week' & the Arkansas Business Week in Review
- Complaint: Martha Shoffner Accepted $6,000 Payment from Witness 10 hours ago
- Houston Company Forecloses on $5M Valley Falls Home 23 hours ago
- Texarkana's Truman Arnold Cos. Off Largest Private Companies List After Execs Move to Dallas 23 hours ago
- Update: Arkansas Treasurer Martha Shoffner to Appear in Court 16 hours ago
- State Treasurer Martha Shoffner Arrested for Extortion by FBI 2 days ago