Former state Sen. Shane Broadway's fast-track political career was sidelined in November, when the Republican tide that swept the state killed his hopes for becoming lieutenant governor in 2011. But he quickly bounced back into government by being hired in January as deputy director of the Arkansas Department of Higher Education, just in time for its director, Jim Purcell, to be lured away by the state of Louisiana in February. He is now interim director of the department.
Broadway, of Bryant, is a graduate of Arkansas State University at Jonesboro. He was a champion of education during three terms in the state House of Representatives, including a stint as speaker, and two terms in the Senate. He previously served as chairman of the education committee of the Southern Legislative Conference and was appointed to the advisory board of the Southern Regional Educational Board in 2007.
- Online Advertisers Back Mark Pryor, Other Democrats
- The Robinson Vote: A Rebuttal to Our Editorial by Mark Abernathy
- Wall Street Journal Goes Inside Tyson Foods' China Chicken Farms
- One-And-Done Again: Bryan Harsin to Leave ASU for Boise State 8 hours ago
- CARTI to Begin Construction of $90M Treatment Facility 10 hours ago
- Cooper Clinic Sues Mercy Over Recruitment Tactics 1 week ago
- Fowlers Give $5M to NEA Baptist Charitable Foundation 1 day ago
- Walton Family Foundation Gives $2.1M to UA Program 8 hours ago