Scott Howe, CEO of Acxiom Corp. of Little Rock.
The New York Times has taken note of Acxiom Corp. of Little Rock, the data services firm that mines online and offline data for clients in industries including banking, finance, retail and automotive.
In a major profile on Sunday, the newspaper calls Acxiom a "quiet giant," and examines the privacy issues that come with operating a major data collection effort that generated revenue of $1.13 billion in the company's last fiscal year.
Data collection on this scale isn't terribly surprising. But the Times says there are things Acxiom's doing that set it apart from competitors:
... Acxiom, analysts say, is pursuing far more comprehensive techniques in an effort to influence consumer decisions. It is integrating what it knows about our offline, online and even mobile selves, creating in-depth behavior portraits in pixilated detail. Its executives have called this approach a "360-degree view" on consumers.
"There's a lot of players in the digital space trying the same thing," says Mark Zgutowicz, a Piper Jaffray analyst. "But Acxiom’s advantage is they have a database of offline information that they have been collecting for 40 years and can leverage that expertise in the digital world."
Also noted: Acxiom's aggressive build-up of some prominent brain power, in the form of new executives from companies like Google, Microsoft, Electronic Arts and MySpace. About a year since new CEO Scott Howe has come aboard, this is a company on the move, and people are taking notice.
- Video: WSJ Looks at Wal-Mart's High-Stakes Battle With Amazon
- Tyson Foods Plans $11M Expansion in Sherman, Texas
- Here Are Some of the Golfers You'll See at Alotian Club's Western Amateur Tournament
- Arkansas Officials Confirm Avian Flu in Scott County Chicken 13 hours ago
- Arkansas Business Presents the 40 Under 40 Class of 2013 3 days ago
- UALR Names Paula Casey As Interim Vice Provost 13 hours ago
- Arkansas Insurance Department Prepares for Affordable Care Act 3 days ago
- CALS Considers Naming New Children's Library for Hillary Clinton 11 hours ago