Above, my 6 p.m. hit on THV 11 News, alongside anchor Craig O'Neill and state Rep. Ed Garner, R-Maumelle.
The topic: yesterday's historic day at the state Capitol, in which "young-ish" Cabot Republican Davy Carter swooped in with the help of Democrats to beat Rep. Terry Rice, R-Waldron, in a 52-45 vote for House speaker-elect.
Also: an exchange on the governor's budget and the coming fight over the Medicaid expansion in Arkansas under the Affordable Care Act. As noted here and elsewhere, Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe has linked the looming Medicaid shortfall to the Medicaid expansion, setting a political trap for Republicans who risk cutting between 10,000 and 15,000 seniors from nursing home service.
AETN host Steve Barnes asked Beebe about that political strategy on last night's "Arkansans Ask: Gov. Mike Beebe" -- specifically, how Beebe had put the GOP "behind the 8-ball" with his approach to Medicaid. Beebe said his budget would have looked the same regardless of whether Republicans were in control of the Legislature.
- Wal-Mart Cheered, Jeered for Solar Power Efforts
- State of the South Report Cites Innovation Hub as Key to Arkansas Growth
- THV 11 News: Vilonia Business Reopens After Tornado
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 3 days ago
- Tom Cotton and Me (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 3 days ago
- One Bank Takes Claims Against David Crews to Federal Bankruptcy Court 3 days ago
- Top College Officials See Sizable Pay Raises 3 days ago
- Thomas Longe Appointed to Home BancShares Board of Directors 1 day ago