TVSpy reports today that Nexstar Broadcasting of Irving, Texas -- which owns Arkansas NBC affiliates KARK-TV in Little Rock and KNWA-TV in Fayetteville and MyNetworkTV affiliate KARZ-TV in Little Rock -- has laid off staff at two newly acquired stations in Utah, KTVX (ABC) and KUCW (CW):
The Salt Lake City Tribune put the number laid off at 15.
“That’s probably a good guess,” said Dan Metcalf, KTVX’s now-former film critic and executive producer of online media to the Tribune. “I was No. 5 this morning, and there were others behind me.”
The Tribune also reports the station’s accounting, research and traffic departments had been eliminated and will be handled by other Nexstar sites.
The two stations are part of a package of stations that Nexstar, in partnership with Mission Broadcasting, purchased from Newport Television in July. That deal for Newport stations also included Little Rock Fox affiliate KLRT-TV, Channel 16, and CW affiliate KASN-TV, Channel 38.
As our media reporter Kate Knable noted last summer, that purchase effectively gives control of four central Arkansas TV stations to Nexstar.
It also has local media watchers -- and station employees -- wondering how Nexstar might manage its new Little Rock properties, particularly KARK and KLRT, which have competing local news broadcasts and staffs. Are "shared services agreements" and "local marketing agreements" -- like the ones described in this May New York Times story -- in the cards for central Arkansas TV stations?
No one at Nexstar is talking now, but we'll certainly stay tuned.
(Disclosure: Per a content-sharing arrangement between our companies, I make regular appearances on CBS affiliate KTHV-TV, Channel 11, news programming, which competes with KLRT and KARK.)
- Video: WSJ Looks at Wal-Mart's High-Stakes Battle With Amazon
- Tyson Foods Plans $11M Expansion in Sherman, Texas
- Here Are Some of the Golfers You'll See at Alotian Club's Western Amateur Tournament
- Arkansas Officials Confirm Avian Flu in Scott County Chicken 8 hours ago
- Arkansas Business Presents the 40 Under 40 Class of 2013 3 days ago
- UALR Names Paula Casey As Interim Vice Provost 8 hours ago
- Arkansas Insurance Department Prepares for Affordable Care Act 3 days ago
- CALS Considers Naming New Children's Library for Hillary Clinton 5 hours ago