Chuck Welch of ASU, profiled in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
The Chronicle of Higher Education this week posts this brief profile of Chuck Welch, president of the Arkansas State University System. At 39, Welch is the youngest university system president in the country. Fortunately, he describes himself as a "high-energy person" who can move quickly among projects and events.
He's also assembling a young management team to help run the system:
To raise Arkansas's academic standards and to bolster the university's financial picture, Mr. Welch has put together a strong leadership team.
Why don't more institutions end up hiring young dynamos?
Mr. Welch says less-seasoned candidates might have fresh ideas to offer institutions that want to blaze new paths—and they could be around for the 20 years it may take to consolidate them.
You can read the full profile here. And you can revisit my interview with Welch from last year, and our Arkansas Business cover stories on Welch and Donald Bobbitt, president of the University of Arkansas System.
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Jerry Barakat Opening Japanese Restaurant in Hillcrest
- Waltons Check in at No. 1 on Forbes 'Richest American Families' List
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- With Rollin' Smoke, Arkansas Natives Rock BBQ World in Las Vegas 2 days ago
- 5 Years Later, John Glasgow's Disappearance Still Unexplained 1 year ago
- Phoenix Village, State's First Mall, Hits Hard Times 8 years ago
- Red Beauty Lounge Debuts in Heights 2 days ago