Chuck Welch of ASU, profiled in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
The Chronicle of Higher Education this week posts this brief profile of Chuck Welch, president of the Arkansas State University System. At 39, Welch is the youngest university system president in the country. Fortunately, he describes himself as a "high-energy person" who can move quickly among projects and events.
He's also assembling a young management team to help run the system:
To raise Arkansas's academic standards and to bolster the university's financial picture, Mr. Welch has put together a strong leadership team.
Why don't more institutions end up hiring young dynamos?
Mr. Welch says less-seasoned candidates might have fresh ideas to offer institutions that want to blaze new paths—and they could be around for the 20 years it may take to consolidate them.
You can read the full profile here. And you can revisit my interview with Welch from last year, and our Arkansas Business cover stories on Welch and Donald Bobbitt, president of the University of Arkansas System.
- Here Are Some of the Golfers You'll See at Alotian Club's Western Amateur Tournament
- Gannett Nearly Doubles TV Portfolio with $2B Deal for Belo
- Little Rock's Frontline Athlete Management Boasts Five First Round Picks In MLB Draft
- A Look at 40 Under 40 Honorees Whose Lives Have Been Cut Short 2 days ago
- Arkansas Business Presents the 40 Under 40 Class of 2013 2 days ago
- University of Arkansas Athletic Department Projects $80.6M Budget 20 hours ago
- New UCA President Allen Meadors Called a Uniter 4 years ago
- What They're Doing: Updates on Past 40 Under 40 Honorees 2 days ago