Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Little Rock Marriott Caps $16M Renovations with Relaunch Party
- Rod Ford: Little Rock Startup Scene Needs Capital
- Community Bankers Group Responds to Wal-Mart's GoBank Checking Accounts
- County Clerk Cancels Leslie Rutledge's Voter Registration 4 hours ago
- Mike Beebe Makes 28 Appointments to Arkansas Boards, Commissions 7 hours ago
- Windstream Names Bob Gunderman Interim CFO 10 hours ago
- Dominik Mjartan Promoted at Southern Bancorp 7 hours ago
- Developers Reimagine Conway's Oak Street 3 days ago