Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Reports: Wal-Mart Nabs Another Shopping App, Luvocracy
- FCC Approves Sinclair's $1B Deal to Buy Allbritton TV Stations, Including KATV
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Our Community, Our Dollars Ends Efforts in Faulkner, Craighead Counties 10 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- NERA Study: EPA Regs Would Cost Arkansas Jobs, Millions in Compliance 18 hours ago
- Whataburger On Way to Fayetteville (NWA Real Deals) 4 days ago
- ArcBest 2Q Profit Triples From Last Year 19 hours ago