Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Report: FBI Investigating Turner Grain
- Student Entrepreneur's Doughnut Holes Available Soon at Spokes
- Video: Turner Grain Paid Farmer for Wheat But Not Corn
- Metro Builders Property Weighs In at $3.8 Million (Real Deals) 14 hours ago
- Lawsuit Hits Nerve for Former Friends Fighting Over Medical Fees Earned 14 hours ago
- Scooter Stuart's Tainted Assets Draw More Fire 14 hours ago
- Greenway Picks 7 John Deere Dealerships in $112M Buy 14 hours ago
- Newly Insured 'Private Option' Arkansans Present Challenges, Opportunities 14 hours ago