Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Wal-Mart Cheered, Jeered for Solar Power Efforts
- State of the South Report Cites Innovation Hub as Key to Arkansas Growth
- THV 11 News: Vilonia Business Reopens After Tornado
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 3 days ago
- Tom Cotton and Me (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 3 days ago
- One Bank Takes Claims Against David Crews to Federal Bankruptcy Court 3 days ago
- Thomas Longe Appointed to Home BancShares Board of Directors 1 day ago
- Top College Officials See Sizable Pay Raises 3 days ago