Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Video: ASU Exploring On-Campus Hotel, Convention Center
- After Supremes' Decision, Womack Urges Congress to Act on Online Sales Tax
- WSJ Examines Mark Pryor, Tom Cotton Senate Race
- #ARWX: Sleet Starts in Northwest Arkansas as Winter Storm Arrives 5 hours ago
- Update: John Stacks, Banker and Owner of Mountain Pure Water, Indicted on 11 Counts 2 days ago
- Arkansas Best to Close 30 Service Terminals 13 hours ago
- Greenbrier Space Balloon Launchers Among Innovation Center's Targeted Users 11 hours ago
- Sigma Holdings Inc. Becomes Holding Company for Bank of Rison 4 days ago