Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Report: David Tovar Resigned From Wal-Mart Over Resume Falsehood
- Mobile-Payment Battle Brews Between Apple, Wal-Mart
- WSJ Looks at Crystal Bridges' 'State of the Art' Exhibit
- Arkansas Business Presents 2014's 'The New Influentials: 20 In Their 20s' 15 hours ago
- 8 Former Delta Trust Employees Flock to Eagle Bank 15 hours ago
- Landers Auto Dealership Drives $22.1M Toyota Sale (Real Deals) 15 hours ago
- Argenta Community Development Corp. Weighs Its Future 15 hours ago
- Southern Rice & Cotton Says Turner Grain Bounced Million-Dollar Check 15 hours ago