Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Report: Queen Wilhelmina Delays Cost $11.5M
- Watch The '60 Minutes' Report on Data Brokers Here
- Six Walton Family Members Make Forbes Wealthiest List
- Steele Stephens: Gave Payments, Received $2.5M in State Commissions 16 hours ago
- Securities Department Goes After Firm That Did Business With Martha Shoffner's Office 1 hour ago
- Acumen's Goal: To Own the Southern Lifestyle Marketplace 1 day ago
- Updated: Winner, Loser in Simmons Charters Consolidation 1 day ago
- Peco Foods Announces Northeast Arkansas Plant, 1,000 Jobs 1 day ago