Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- FCC Approves Sinclair's $1B Deal to Buy Allbritton TV Stations, Including KATV
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Jerry Barakat Opening Japanese Restaurant in Hillcrest
- Maverick Transportation Opens $4M Driving Training Center 18 hours ago
- Mo Money, Uber Problems (Robert Coon On Politics) 2 days ago
- Bill Simon Stepping Down As Leader of Wal-Mart's U.S. Stores 1 day ago
- FCC Approves Sinclair's $1B Deal to Buy Allbritton TV Stations, Including KATV 15 hours ago
- Arkansas' 75 Largest Private Companies 2 years ago