Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Jerry Barakat Opening Japanese Restaurant in Hillcrest
- Waltons Check in at No. 1 on Forbes 'Richest American Families' List
- The Home of Outrageous Service (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 3 days ago
- Mike Beebe Appoints 43 to State Boards, Commissions 1 day ago
- Arkansas Venture Center Names Operations Team 10 hours ago
- With Rollin' Smoke, Arkansas Natives Rock BBQ World in Las Vegas 3 days ago
- NLR Sports Memorabilia Dealer John Rogers Sued for Missed Payment 3 days ago