Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Heartbleed? No Need for Heart Attack, We've Got Help, Advice
- CMS Database Shows Medicare Payments to Doctors, Others in 2012
- NY Post Reports Alice Walton Might Be Buyer of $70M Penthouse
- Simmons Name Appears on Arkansas' Tallest Building 3 hours ago
- 13 Lenders Produce ROE Of More Than 13 Percent 3 days ago
- Judge Rules Martha Shoffner Corruption Conviction Will Stand 21 hours ago
- Packet House Deal Gets Murky; Restaurant For Sale 1 day ago
- Lottery Oversight Committee Votes 'Non Support' On Video Bets 21 hours ago