Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- The Robinson Vote: A Rebuttal to Our Editorial by Mark Abernathy
- Wall Street Journal Goes Inside Tyson Foods' China Chicken Farms
- In El Dorado, Murphy to Open 1,200th Gas Station
- One-And-Done Again: Bryan Harsin to Leave ASU for Boise State 5 hours ago
- CARTI to Begin Construction of $90M Treatment Facility 7 hours ago
- Cooper Clinic Sues Mercy Over Recruitment Tactics 1 week ago
- Fowlers Give $5M to NEA Baptist Charitable Foundation 1 day ago
- Walton Family Foundation Gives $2.1M to UA Program 5 hours ago