Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Duncan Mac Naughton Out as Wal-Mart Chief Merchandising Officer
- Sam's Club, Dillard's Make Consumer Reports Naughty & Nice List
- Dillard's Investor Advises Company to Pursue REIT Spinoff
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- Joe Thompson To Leave Surgeon General Post; John Selig Asked to Stay at DHS 2 days ago
- Sam's Club, Dillard's Make Consumer Reports Naughty & Nice List 3 days ago
- Blue & You Foundation Gives $2.6M in Grants 2 days ago
- Gov.-elect Asa Hutchinson Begins Bureaucrat Shuffle 4 days ago