Ashley Blackstone at our news partner THV 11 News takes her "Made in Arkansas" series to Hot Springs this week, where she finds a thriving 127-year-old business, Smith's Consumer Products, which makes kitchen knives, sharpeners and other products.
Smith's wares can be found at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Gander Mountain, Amazon, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods and Bed Bath and Beyond. A key material in the company's sharpeners is Novaculite, a stone found in Hot Springs that's perfect for keeping knives razor sharp.
In the story above, Blackstone goes inside Smith's 30,000-SF warehouse and talks to Richard Smith, the company founder's great grandson.
Plus: Speaking of sharp edges, Arkansas Business takes a look this week at the Microplane division of Russellville's Grace Manufacturing Inc., whose growth has been fueled by unsolicited celebrity endorsements from Oprah Winfrey and a host of Food Network stars.
- Bentonville's Transformation Subject of Ad Age Spotlight
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas
- Arkansans Have Endured 80k Political Ads Worth $33.1M
- Tom Cotton, Asa Hutchinson Lead Big in Arkansas Poll 2 hours ago
- Dennis Smiley's Wife Cynthia Files Chapter 7 Bankruptcy 1 day ago
- Simmons Foods to Close Northeast Oklahoma Poultry Plant 5 hours ago
- #ARPX: What to Watch on Election Day (Robert Coon & Blake Rutherford On Politics) 21 hours ago
- Brandon Barber Sentenced to 65 Months in Prison for Fraud, Money Laundering 2 days ago