Store closings and store openings are routine for big retailers, including department store chain Dillard's Inc. of Little Rock, which made news on both ends of the spectrum in a week's time.
First, The Courier-Tribune of Asheboro, N.C., reported that Dillard's will be leaving the Randolph Mall there by June 1. Dillard's has been in that mall, owned by CBL & Associates Properties Inc., since October 2002 and is one of its four anchors.
Dillard's spokeswoman Julie Bull tells the Courier-Tribune that Dillard's closes stores on based on their performance. Asheboro, a manufacturing town of about 22,000 people, has had a tough go of it amid the recession, as you might remember from this "60 Minutes" report last fall. Still, some residents aren't pleased:
“I can’t believe it,” said Jearline Brown, a regular shopper from Bennett. She and her daughter, Rita Holt of Bear Creek, were perusing the 65 percent off racks.
Frequent Dillard’s shoppers Thelma Barrett, William Simmons and Dion McNair, all of Asheboro, are also unhappy about the store closing.
“Dillard’s is the only store that carries the kind of clothing I like to wear,” McNair said. “I’m upset that they’re closing.”
The Asheboro store is the second Dillard's has closed this year. It announced the closure of its Cache Valley Mall store in Logan, Utah, in January.
Second, Dillard's is in the early stages of a new store north of Cincinnati in Liberty Township, according to the Cincinnati Business Courier.
Dillard's has agreed to take on a 200,000-SF space in the mixed-use development, according to its developer, Steiner + Associates Inc., which plans a 2015 grand opening.
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Jerry Barakat Opening Japanese Restaurant in Hillcrest
- Waltons Check in at No. 1 on Forbes 'Richest American Families' List
- The Home of Outrageous Service (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 3 days ago
- Mike Beebe Appoints 43 to State Boards, Commissions 1 day ago
- Arkansas Venture Center Names Operations Team 11 hours ago
- With Rollin' Smoke, Arkansas Natives Rock BBQ World in Las Vegas 3 days ago
- NLR Sports Memorabilia Dealer John Rogers Sued for Missed Payment 3 days ago