Store closings and store openings are routine for big retailers, including department store chain Dillard's Inc. of Little Rock, which made news on both ends of the spectrum in a week's time.
First, The Courier-Tribune of Asheboro, N.C., reported that Dillard's will be leaving the Randolph Mall there by June 1. Dillard's has been in that mall, owned by CBL & Associates Properties Inc., since October 2002 and is one of its four anchors.
Dillard's spokeswoman Julie Bull tells the Courier-Tribune that Dillard's closes stores on based on their performance. Asheboro, a manufacturing town of about 22,000 people, has had a tough go of it amid the recession, as you might remember from this "60 Minutes" report last fall. Still, some residents aren't pleased:
“I can’t believe it,” said Jearline Brown, a regular shopper from Bennett. She and her daughter, Rita Holt of Bear Creek, were perusing the 65 percent off racks.
Frequent Dillard’s shoppers Thelma Barrett, William Simmons and Dion McNair, all of Asheboro, are also unhappy about the store closing.
“Dillard’s is the only store that carries the kind of clothing I like to wear,” McNair said. “I’m upset that they’re closing.”
The Asheboro store is the second Dillard's has closed this year. It announced the closure of its Cache Valley Mall store in Logan, Utah, in January.
Second, Dillard's is in the early stages of a new store north of Cincinnati in Liberty Township, according to the Cincinnati Business Courier.
Dillard's has agreed to take on a 200,000-SF space in the mixed-use development, according to its developer, Steiner + Associates Inc., which plans a 2015 grand opening.
- Report: Wal-Mart CFO Claims 'Very Good Sales' Lately
- Report: Queen Wilhelmina Delays Cost $11.5M
- Watch The '60 Minutes' Report on Data Brokers Here
- Update: Stewart Resigns as Sparks, Summit CEO; Tim Schmidt Named Interim 4 hours ago
- Veteran Restaurateur Denis Seyer Recharged After 4-Year Hiatus 4 days ago
- Arkansas Man Killed in Accident at Norandal USA Plant in Newport 6 hours ago
- UCA Ex-Administrator Gets 3-Year Prison Sentence 6 hours ago
- Suddenlink to Invest $29M in Arkansas This Year 5 hours ago