The latest? The closure of the Phillips County Jail, a 30-year-old building that's falling apart and now deemed unsafe. The move leaves 18 employees out of work and 60 inmates transferred to other areas.
The county has hired consultants to look at the jail and find out what can be done; they will present their findings a quorum court meeting May 14. Those possibilities could include renovating the existing facility or building a new one.
Seigle has more reporting and video here.
- Reports: Wal-Mart Nabs Another Shopping App, Luvocracy
- FCC Approves Sinclair's $1B Deal to Buy Allbritton TV Stations, Including KATV
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Our Community, Our Dollars Ends Efforts in Faulkner, Craighead Counties 14 hours ago
- NERA Study: EPA Regs Would Cost Arkansas Jobs, Millions in Compliance 23 hours ago
- Whataburger On Way to Fayetteville (NWA Real Deals) 4 days ago
- Economy Adds 209K Jobs in July, Unemployment Rate at 6.2 Percent. 2 hours ago
- ArcBest 2Q Profit Triples From Last Year 23 hours ago