The latest? The closure of the Phillips County Jail, a 30-year-old building that's falling apart and now deemed unsafe. The move leaves 18 employees out of work and 60 inmates transferred to other areas.
The county has hired consultants to look at the jail and find out what can be done; they will present their findings a quorum court meeting May 14. Those possibilities could include renovating the existing facility or building a new one.
Seigle has more reporting and video here.
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas
- Arkansans Have Endured 80k Political Ads Worth $33.1M
- Performance, Not Academics, Drive Incentives for SEC Football Coaches
- Crye-Leike Adopts New Safety Rules After Beverly Carter Death 2 days ago
- Turner Grain Merchandising Files $25M Bankruptcy 17 hours ago
- Turner Grain Collapse Prompts Legislation 17 hours ago
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 5 days ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago