The latest? The closure of the Phillips County Jail, a 30-year-old building that's falling apart and now deemed unsafe. The move leaves 18 employees out of work and 60 inmates transferred to other areas.
The county has hired consultants to look at the jail and find out what can be done; they will present their findings a quorum court meeting May 14. Those possibilities could include renovating the existing facility or building a new one.
Seigle has more reporting and video here.
- Reuters Goes Inside Serco, the Obamacare Hub in Rogers That Employs 1,600
- Online Advertisers Back Mark Pryor, Other Democrats
- The Robinson Vote: A Rebuttal to Our Editorial by Mark Abernathy
- Stuttgart Scientist Accused of Industrial Espionage 16 hours ago
- Audit Shows $12K in Improper Spending; Mark Darr Says He'll Repay 16 hours ago
- New Kanis Plaza Owner Arrives in $1.5M Sale (Real Deals) 4 days ago
- Prosecutor: No Criminal Activity, But Breakdown of Controls in UA's Advancement Division 17 hours ago
- Bank Directors Predict More Mergers, Acquisitions in 2014 4 days ago