The latest? The closure of the Phillips County Jail, a 30-year-old building that's falling apart and now deemed unsafe. The move leaves 18 employees out of work and 60 inmates transferred to other areas.
The county has hired consultants to look at the jail and find out what can be done; they will present their findings a quorum court meeting May 14. Those possibilities could include renovating the existing facility or building a new one.
Seigle has more reporting and video here.
- Six Walton Family Members Make Forbes Wealthiest List
- Previously Withheld Clinton Records Go Public Today
- Wal-Mart Buys Yumprint of Seattle
- Harry Scott, Former President of Thompson Industries of Russellville, Dies at 64 8 months ago
- Filing Period Highlights Arkansas Political Shift (Andrew DeMillo Analysis) 8 hours ago
- Underground Tunnels Challenge Hot Springs Engineers from Past to Present 4 weeks ago
- Commission Investigates Judge Mike Maggio's Web Postings 3 days ago
- Arkansas Best Execs Enjoy Fruit of Profitable 2013 5 days ago